Main Menu

440 oil leak front passenger side

Started by dave73, July 29, 2017, 05:35:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Pressurized the coolant system, found a small leak in the lower rad hose that was spraying. Fixed that, went for a drive, now still an oil leak. Guess I had an oil leak and a coolant leak, well at least one is fixed. Still can't source the oil leak, might be behind the balancer? This is going to drive me to the nut house...

moparmaniacc

Just checking if you ever figured this out....I have the same leak down the passenger side and so far I haven't figured it out.  Seems to be worse when I drive it hard.  I will check the sender.  thnx, John

Cuda Cody

Welcome @moparmaniacc   :welcome:  Could you post a photo of your leak and we'll see if we can suggest a possibility or two. 

Chryco Psycho

Welcome @moparmaniacc  from Panama
It could be coming though the fuel pump right there or a gap between the timing cover & block if the timing cover has been off in the past  but pictures or other info will help

moparmaniacc

I dont have a lift, and cant see much from top passenger side, so heres from the bottom

Brads70

Quote from: moparmaniacc on April 02, 2018, 04:30:49 PM
I dont have a lift, and cant see much from top passenger side, so heres from the bottom

You said it coming from the front right? Just noticing oil on the flywheel ,rear main? Unless it's blowing back there?

moparmaniacc

My last motor had a rear main seal leak and that made the clutch slip.  This is different. 

Chryco Psycho

I agree with Brad , that looks like rear main , there is no way it should get onto the clutch as it will be thrown off the engine side of the flywheel & not get to the back side of the flywheel where the clutch is

superwrench

Chryco is on the right track. I was having the same issue with oil leaking on the right front of the engine. It turned out to be a crappy timing chain gasket. If you remember, the original Mopar gasket had "sealing" rings built into the gasket for the 4 3/8ths (the 4 lower ones) bolts of the cover. Most aftermarket gaskets do NOT have these. I could run the engine and actually see oil start to trickle from these bolts.....a good RTV sealer at these areas and on the bolts themselves solves the issue.

dave73

Been awhile but figured I'd give an update. My leak is coming from the timing cover locating pin on the passenger side. Found it by cleaning up the block real good, putting in some uv dye and tracing with a black light. See picture below - it's upside down for some reason but the green line is the leak that is pooling on the corner of the oil pan, then onto the k frame and then ground. Tricky little sob!!

For now, it's going to stay like that. It's such a minor leak I'll just keep checking the oil level every trip until I want to take it off the rode for a few while I tear it down. Guessing there is no way to fix other than pulling the cover and resealing?

734406PK

Nice find with the UV dye  :bigthumb: The timing cover gasket must have split at the pin location. What a pain!

Chryco Psycho

With it very clean you could apply some right stuff between the cover & block where the leak is & possibly seal it up without pulling it

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.