Main Menu

340 Rocker Arm/Hydraulic Lifter Adjustment

Started by Daveh, March 04, 2022, 07:56:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Ok so I'm new to Mopar engines (mostly chevy's, don't kill me  :))  So once I got the 340 started, I could hear a little tick.  I took the valve cover off to adjust the lifters and there was no nut to make any adjustment.  Is there a way to adjust the lifters?  I have a little movement in the push rods but not much.

Is there a way to adjust them?  Thanks

chargerdon

No unlike Chevy which requires each and every valve to be adjusted, standard Mopar are with rocker shaft thus not needing adjustment.   If the lifters need adjustment, it is by replacing the push rods with shorter or longer ones.   So if after fully warmed up you hear a ticking, then you probably have a hydraulic lifter going bad.   Also, the rockers on the shafts can wear out, tho even new ones fit loosely on the shaft. 

There was a Mopar 273 engine that used solid lifters, and the lifters had a screw at their end that you could adjust.   I.e most people call them 273 rockers.

Also, there are many aftermarket lifters available that are adjustable...and expensive !!

Bullitt-

Seems that often the ticking noise is an exhaust leak...  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Daveh

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Hopefully it's an exhaust leak since I've been through some hot and cold cycles after starting the engine.

What's the best way to test for an exhaust leak? I used to use carb cleaner and spray it around until the idle changed. 

Bullitt-

**  Easiest would be a length of hose held up to your hear
Seeing several videos of using a smoker connected to the tail pipe but seems like a lot of trouble.
  Then there's this seafoam idea  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrhuhBgnFM
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]