Main Menu

440 Six pak choke

Started by Rosco234, May 18, 2020, 04:52:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rosco234

Hello, I have a relatively new to me 71 Challenger with a 440 six pak.  It has the factory choke setup. When i first got the car, i could get the choke to come on with a single pump of the pedal. The car would start right away but the high idle was a bit higher than i liked. It was over 2200 rpm. I read on the forum that you can adjust the high idle by twisting the tang on the idle assembly. I tried doing that in a counter clockwise direction. Since then, the choke does not seem to want to set at all.  I tried twisting  back in the other direction without any luck. Any suggestions?  It doesnt look like i broke anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

did you bend the vertical rod at all ?, the little tag rides inside the horseshoe plastic cam

Rosco234

That rod looks straight. I dont think i bent it.

Chryco Psycho

Ok , is the choke flap closing when cold ,? there is an arm under the fast idle cam that controls how far the cam is lifted when the choke is closed also , possibly that arm got bent down so it is not lifting the cam up so the idle speed is not increased .

Rosco234

Well, after looking at this a bit more, it seems like the choke rod is not lifting high enough to allow the fast idle cam to rotate and engage the throttle shaft.   When cold, should the choke rod be loose and able to move freely up and down?  To me it seems like the chike rod should be putting upward pressure on the arm it is attached to. This would allow the fast idle cam to rotate and engage the throttle shaft.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Rosco234

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 27, 2020, 06:08:13 PM
Correct.
My choke rod is very loose and has no upward pressure. I removed it from the well in the manifold and it doesnt look like there is any type of adjustability.  Should i try a new choke spring setup?

RUNCHARGER

Yes, if you can find one.
Sheldon

Jim AAR

I just bought one from Shakerhood.com for my 340 - 6 pack ($80.00) and they are the same as the 440 - 6 pack.

Mopar 440 340 6 Pack Holley Choke

Mopar 440 4 BBL Shaker Base Air Cleaner
Mopar 440 340 6 Pack Carb Throttle Return Spring
$80.00
Qty 
Add To Cart
Add To Wishlist
SKU: NW994 CATEGORIES: 6 Pack Components, Cuda Parts, GTX Road Runner Parts, TA Parts

Rosco234

Quote from: Jim AAR on May 27, 2020, 08:39:21 PM
I just bought one from Shakerhood.com for my 340 - 6 pack ($80.00) and they are the same as the 440 - 6 pack.

Mopar 440 340 6 Pack Holley Choke

Mopar 440 4 BBL Shaker Base Air Cleaner
Mopar 440 340 6 Pack Carb Throttle Return Spring
$80.00
Qty 
Add To Cart
Add To Wishlist
SKU: NW994 CATEGORIES: 6 Pack Components, Cuda Parts, GTX Road Runner Parts, TA Parts
Thanks Jim.  Have you had a chance ro install?  Does it seem to work correctly?

Jim AAR

I haven't received it yet, but it is a Holley part so i'm sure it will be good for fit, but will still require adjusting once on the car. I've never had one on these carbs so we'll see. I'll let you know once I get it and install it.

Chryco Psycho

The correct 6 pack chokes had a nut on the end of the shaft @ the center of the bi-metal spring so you can rotate the position of the spring , can you post a picture ?

Rosco234

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 29, 2020, 02:03:16 PM
The correct 6 pack chokes had a nut on the end of the shaft @ the center of the bi-metal spring so you can rotate the position of the spring , can you post a picture ?
Here is the one that was in my car.

Rosco234

This pic gives you a better look at the spring arm that is supposed to push on the choke shaft

Chryco Psycho

In the past I have been able to rotate the center shaft & re peen it & adust the position of the spring to push up the rod , you can try that before spending $80