Main Menu

440/413 Pushrod Length

Started by rebelyell, August 26, 2018, 03:45:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rebelyell

I need some help selecting a pushrod length for my motor.

I have the 440 heads rebuilt and installed on my 413 block. The push rods I pulled out measured 9.35 inches, but everything online is telling me that 9.315 is the "stock" length. for a 440 push rod. Am I measuring mine wrong? I bought a Comp Cams push rod length checker and that's how I measured the stock length.

Going with the logic that a 413RB and 440 RB are the "same," shouldn't the push rods be the same if everything else is stock?

I have no idea what the cam specs are. I assume that it's a stock cam because it doesn't lope at idle.

Cuda Cody

I always take my own measurements and order the size I need.  Machine work, cam and other things can change the stock numbers.

rebelyell

That's the other thing. I don't know how to check it properly. I assumed I'd put the cam lobe all the way down, install the pushrod then the rockers and see if it moves? I don't know what's too much and what's not enough. I've also read that if it's within 0.050" I should be good.

1 Wild R/T

If your 413 still has the stock lifters they take a different pushrod which has a reduced diameter on the lifter end & they are slightly longer than the 69 & newer design pushrods....   Replacement lifters & engines built after 69 have the same diameter ball at either end of the pushrod...

rebelyell

They look like the stock lifters that came with the 440 heads, but I wouldn't know any difference. I attached a picture of the push rods that I pulled out. I want to get a set of hardened push rods, but I don't know what length to get.

Also..the side that I attached a picture of...is that the lifter end you're talking about? If so, they were installed backwards.

rebelyell

Picture wasn't attached.

1 Wild R/T

That is the early pushrod, lifter end...

rebelyell

What is the procedure for measuring correct pushrod length?

1 Wild R/T

Well to start with  you need to know if the lifters truly are the pre 69 lifters... If they are then I'd be replacing them because the new pushrods won't fit properly... And if your replacing pushrods & lifters it would be a good time to replace the cam......  Oh BTW your rockers are a ? since they've had the small end of the pushrod focusing the force in a smaller area then the design called for.....

BTW these are all legit concerns, I'm not messing with ya.... However...

rebelyell

Weeellll, I need some sleep.

I got the lifter vs rocker confused. They were correctly installed. But at any rate, how do I tell the difference in an old lifter vs new lifter? I'm assuming they're pre-69 lifters because the block is a 66ish.

rebelyell

So I'm ordering a new cam. Comp Cams 0.477/0.480

Because I need new lifters.

Because I need new pushrods.

It's just money, right?

1 Wild R/T

I'm always happy to help spend someone else's money.....   :headbang:

rebelyell

Haha, this makes about $1500 dumped into this motor. Did I tell you guys when I pulled the heads off there were no washers? Or what about the machine shop telling me there wasnt a single good valve on either head. That was a hoot.

I'm surprised it ran at all.

1 Wild R/T

Washers? Under the head bolts?  They don't use any.... 

rebelyell

The factory didn't use washers under the head bolts?

They're there now though.