Main Menu

46RE

Started by Timmy2Tires, March 06, 2021, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Timmy2Tires

Will a 1998 46re transmission work without a computer hooked up to it? From my understanding the E means electronically controlled. Torque converter lockup can be done with a switch, right? same with overdrive? Governor is electronically controlled, is that even needed? Any thing else controlled electronically?  My original engine and trans both need to be rebuilt, and it would be the end of summer before I could get that done, and I want to drive the car this summer. I have a 1998 Dodge van with a good 5.9, but is junk because the steering gearbox is no longer attached to the frame. RUST. Would be cool if I could drop that in for the summer

1 Wild R/T

No... All shifts are controller by solenoids, the line pressure is controller by an electronic pressure regulator...  There are good parts in that trans that are useful for moving to an earlier case but the case & controls need a computer to work..

Timmy2Tires

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 06, 2021, 11:49:52 AM
No... All shifts are controller by solenoids, the line pressure is controller by an electronic pressure regulator...  There are good parts in that trans that are useful for moving to an earlier case but the case & controls need a computer to work..
I thought that might be the case. Thank you for the helpful info. I'm old, don't know much about this "newer" stuff lol. 727 it is.

cuda hunter

@1 Wild R/T    What year is the better year?  I've read over on febo that people take the parts from a 46re and put them into a 727.  Just have not gotten an actual run down on paper to give to my trans guy to figure it out.  Curious
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cuda hunter on March 06, 2021, 01:06:54 PM
@1 Wild R/T    What year is the better year?  I've read over on febo that people take the parts from a 46re and put them into a 727.  Just have not gotten an actual run down on paper to give to my trans guy to figure it out.  Curious

You can use the planetaries & other parts in an earlier 518 and a very late 727... You can not use the O/D section on a 727.. The rear area of the case has many changes to make the O/D section bolt on & work... I've read post where guys say it can be done.... But I haven't read any of those posts from someone who's actually done the work.... 

The 89-95 518 can be used pretty easily... It can be made to automatically engage O/D & if so equips lock up the convertor....

People seem to avoid the lock up, IMO thats a mistake, why not take advantage of zero convertor slippage when running at light throttle & highway speed?

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 06, 2021, 11:49:52 AM

I thought I red some where that you could by a stand alone computer to make it work, but not cheap.

May be worht looking into.

Attached is the link to my thread on putting a 42re into my Cuda form last year.  Sorry, its kind of long!

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/rh-transmission-the-result/12648/

My two cents for what its worth, with only 150 miles with the trans in the car, it is likely the best upgrade I have done.  When you are rolling down the highway and that OD kicks in and the RPM drops to 2000 or so and you flying at 65 plus mph, you will see the benefit!

I am running a lock up trans and don't see an issue with at at this point.

I set things up with toggle switches initially, but will switch it to automatic set up shortly.

The swap is a a lot of work, but its worth it!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

FF376

I think '97 was the last year for the "RH" series of transmission s but they still have an electronic speedometer hook up and lock up. I think that the tail shaft is also a little big in circumference for the e body transmission tunnel also.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: FF376 on March 06, 2021, 02:44:24 PM
I think '97 was the last year for the "RH" series of transmission s but they still have an electronic speedometer hook up and lock up. I think that the tail shaft is also a little big in circumference for the e body transmission tunnel also.

I've never seen one newer than 96 & mostly 95 is the cutoff....

Cudajason

Quote from: FF376 on March 06, 2021, 02:44:24 PM

The electronic speedo sensor can be removed. The 727 spedo gear will work.

The tail shaft is larger, but it will work with out any cutting.  You do have to trim a few of the ribs on the tail of the trans. The trick is you have to modify the trans crossmember / mount.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

Kinda funny, I was looking for photos of what needs to be done... I lost my photos a couple years ago in a computer crash.... And I found these.... I took these photos back around 2000 when I did my first swap...  I found them posted by someone I don't know on a website I didn't belong to at the time they were posted but do now.... LOL..

These days I have better tools & I can do a cleaner job of cutting the webbing but that car is still out there working perfectly....