Main Menu

489 Center in 741 Case

Started by GregDaro, February 08, 2024, 08:24:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GregDaro

I have a 70 Challenger L code with a 741 case.  The rear needs a rebuild so I thought about replacing the center section with a Moser 3.73 gears, replacing the original 3.23.  The issue is that I can only find center sections for a 489 case. 

Is there a way to use a 489 center section in a 741 case?

Newbie question from and oldie.

mtull

@GregDaro,

I'm not sufficiently qualified to answer your question.  I have read there are interchangeability options only requiring different diameter bearings.
Have you checked with: https://www.doctordiff.com/   Sometimes it takes a while for them to respond but I've always gotten a response from them.
I live in the Northern VA area.  I have an clean empty 489 case with caps if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!

HP2

I'm a bit confused by your terms re 489 center vs 741 case. To me, center and case are the same thing. However....

If you are calling the whole rear axle housing the "case" then yes, you can put a 489 center section into that axle housing/case. You can even use the same axles, provided you do not get a traction unit (Sure Grip, Posi, spool, etc) that utilizes a non-stock spline count.