Main Menu

677 stamp paint

Started by usraptor, February 06, 2017, 06:02:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I finally received my 677 stamps for my 4-speed trans but they didn't come with any paint or stamp pad.  Can somebody please recommend what type of paint/stamp pad  to use to stamp the numbers on the side of my trans?  I think the color is supposed to be pale green, but if not please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Cuda Cody

I like to use Screen Printing Ink from my sign shop, but I know that not many people can get that stuff (nor want to pay the high price for it) so I've tested several others paints.  The one I like best is called 1 Shot or Chromatic.  It's the same company.  1 Shot was purchased by Akzo Nobel (Chromatic) and now I think they are part of PPG.  Either way you can buy 1 shot online or at your local sign painting supply store.  http://www.1shot.com/

The stamps on the side of the 4 speeds I think are normally a light blue for 1970 E-Bodies.  But I'm not 100% sure they all were the same.  Was there any left over marking that you could see?

As for stamping it, do some testing and practice until you get the right look.  Roll out some paint, load the stamp and go for it!  Good luck.

Not all of these photos are mine.  Just sharing so we can all learn.

usraptor

Thanks Cody, it was so faded it was hard to tell what color it was originally.  But after looking at your pics, it probably was blue. Thanks
:bigthumb:

farmboy70

Heres a better shot of my 676 . It shows the blue a little better.
Dave

farmboy70

Here is one I have never seen before. It was stamped with two numbers.
I have only seen this once.
I have the original , before I redid this one some where . but for now this is the best picture I can find.
Dave

Cuda Cody

Thanks Dave!!!!!   :clapping:

Nice job man.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

usraptor

I got my transmission stamped today.  Not real happy with how it came out but I don't see it getting any better and after the day I had today I really don't care.  :pullinghair:

Cuda Cody

Looks good to me!  Scroll up and look at some of the originals.  Yours look good and you don't even have drips!  I do think the thicker the ink or paint, the easier and better the stamps work.  My guess is the factory used an Ink.

A.Gramz

Quote from: usraptor on February 07, 2017, 05:11:51 PM
I got my transmission stamped today.  Not real happy with how it came out but I don't see it getting any better and after the day I had today I really don't care.  :pullinghair:

Looks good from where I'm sitting  :bradsthumb:

usraptor

Quote from: farmboy70 on February 07, 2017, 04:57:12 AM
Here is one I have never seen before. It was stamped with two numbers.
I have only seen this once.
I have the original , before I redid this one some where . but for now this is the best picture I can find.
Dave

Mine, also had two stamps on it.  One above the other.  I originally tried to preserve them but goofed up by soaking a rag in evopo-rust and letting it sit on the trans overnight.  Next morning the paint for the stamps was gone.