Main Menu

70 Challenger Fender Tag Code J42 =pistol grip

Started by CoonsRT/SE, October 23, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CoonsRT/SE

I think i know, but wanna make sure, is the code J42 Pistol Grip a round shift knob for an auto 70 Challenger?

Chryco Psycho

J42 , are you sure the closest is J45 for hood pins ?

anlauto

There was never any "pistol grip" option for an automatic equipped E Body whatsoever. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

autoxcuda

Quote from: cuda hunter on October 23, 2019, 07:09:27 PM
J41 could look like J42.

Pedal dress up kit.

A '70 RT/SE will have pedal dress up. As with any '70 S/E

By his username, seems like he has a 70 RT/SE.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

headejm

My broadcast sheet has a listing for J42 "Pistol Grip Trans Knob". Wording is confusing. My car is a 1970 automatic with the standard floor mounted knob shifter and there is no call out for that on the broadcast sheet. Was the pistol grip an option or standard on 4-speed cars? Possible that J42 was for the 4-speed cars only.

@autoxcuda I don't believe that J41 "Pedal Dress Up" was standard on SE cars. I believe it was an option only. I have a R/T SE and it does not have J41.

RUNCHARGER

Try to find an original 4 speed E-body without a pistol grip, nope. Try to find an original automatic E-body with a pistol grip shifter, nope.
Thankfully they never, ever made a pistol grip automatic shifter, ever, not ever.
Sheldon

autoxcuda

Quote from: headejm on October 24, 2019, 06:14:52 PM
My broadcast sheet has a listing for J42 "Pistol Grip Trans Knob". Wording is confusing. My car is a 1970 automatic with the standard floor mounted knob shifter and there is no call out for that on the broadcast sheet. Was the pistol grip an option or standard on 4-speed cars? Possible that J42 was for the 4-speed cars only.

@autoxcuda I don't believe that J41 "Pedal Dress Up" was standard on SE cars. I believe it was an option only. I have a R/T SE and it does not have J41.

I think you're right on not standard on the S/E.

Pedal dress seems more common on S/E cars since their other luxury appointments.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

6bblgt

I'd bet early in 1970 model year planning - the "pistol grip shifter" was going to be an OPTION on manual transmission cars

maybe a-bodies, maybe some models :dunno:
it ended up STANDARD on all 1970 B & E-bodies with the 4-speed manual transmission
and NOT AVAILABLE otherwise

I have never seen J42 used on a broadcast sheet - or any other reference to J42 besides the broadcast sheet

headejm

JS29

I never understood why they never Installed the iconic pistol grip shifter in the A body line!  :huh: