Main Menu

70 Cuda Axle Replacement

Started by 6pack, September 30, 2019, 05:42:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6pack

Could someone tell me if the axle end play on the drivers side should be felt?  I removed the bad axle today and before that I checked for the end play and felt none at all and a tight rotational movement compared to any other axle I dealt with mostly GM.  With the trans in neutral, I had to use a large prybar between the lug nuts to rotate the axle is that normal?  The axle has the original style bearings not the sealed green type.  I will prepared to remove the right side tire after I install the new axle and Timken bearing not to disturb the thrust button and loosen the axle adjustment nut.  Any insight on this?  The problem with the axle is a slightly bent flange that created a slight wheel wobble.  That is how I bought it.  I am guessing someone slid into a curb maybe.  I am buying everything from Dr. Diff.

Chryco Psycho

the end play can be felt when set properly , it should be .010 total end play so you can seat one axle with a hammer and adjust the other side until there is just a slight movement .
if you have a sure grip [posi] the axle can be very tight to turn if the other axle is held with the tire on the ground

6pack

I guess mine was set to tight.  I have both sides off the ground when I noticed it tough to rotate.  Maybe because the end play was too tight. Thanks.  So I should feel the end play from both sides if set right?

Chryco Psycho

Yes you can feel the same play at both side but you will likely have to use a hammer to change which side you can feel the play , it is not easy to move all the weight over & seat the other brg .
The resistance could also be in the transmission if you have a sure grip & both axles in the diff are turning together , if it was in park you are back to forcing the other axle to turn the other way so it woukld be the sure grip you are trying to force to turn

6pack

Ok, got it thanks.  Was in neutral.  I guess all is well; since I was working on the driver side it would be tight so one would of adjusted the other side with the adjuster nut.

6pack

I got the axle installed.  I pressed the bearing on using a bearing separator as a base and a piece of pipe cut down about 3 inches long.  All went well.  The reason it took so long is it took a week for my order from Dr. Diff then he forgot to put the Timken bearing in the box so I had to wait for that before I could start.  I checked my end play on the adjustment side and it was 0.014" so I was good there and did not have to adjust.  No more flange wobble.  All this time I thought it was a bad rim.  And since I was going 15's I did not worry about it.  Funny thing is you could not feel it when you drive just see it from behind.

Chryco Psycho