Main Menu

'71 340 Cuda - Look at this motor - How did it get this way??? Any ideas?

Started by TOP1PERFORMER, August 19, 2019, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TOP1PERFORMER

:o
I bought a '71 Cuda in very rough shape about 15 years ago. It wasn't running. Had it in dry storage ever since. Thought I would take a closer look at the motor before I pulled the drivetrain and start on the body. There were no rockers or push rods. Lots of rust. Sunday I pulled the intake and heads. It does have a 340 4 bbl manifold and J heads with 2.02 intake valves. There is nothing stamped on the block.
Could not believe what I saw. Look at the PICs. Been into Mopars for over 40 years and can't figure out how this motor got this way  :thinking:
Someone told me a while ago that that sometimes a motor will get replaced and not have a stamp. Is that true?
Cannot understand why there is so much residue in some of the cylinders and fluid in others.

Did someone drive this thing into a swamp?
Any ideas?

Fred

jimynick

Check that schmutz and see if it's granular- it looks like it is- and if you can work up the nerve, either taste a wee dab or see if it'll dissolve in hot water; it may be sugar as that was something sometimes done back in the day and the previous owner may have tried to wash it out with water. Just a S.W.A.G.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Rich G.

My friend bought a 66 Mustang that sat in a garage for years and that's what his engine looked like. Locked up tighter than a drum! I wonder if it's moisture and electrolysis attacking it.

TOP1PERFORMER

I felt a little and it did seem granular. Not sure I want to taste it. It was nasty.
Will pull some out tomorrow and try to rinse with hot water.
Initially when I pulled the heads I heard fluid draining. Looked like oil. Thought maybe someone filled the cylinders with oil to free it up. Plugs were still in.
Thanks

TOP1PERFORMER

It's hard to believe that there could be that much crud just from sitting but I learn something every day. It wasn't in every cylinder though.
Was hoping for just a rusted cylinder. Would have expected that and would have been much happier.
Will be interesting to play around with the crud tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.
Either way, it's got to come apart.
Thanks

6bblgt

was the car underwater in any of the past storms/hurricanes - where was it during SANDY (2012)?

TOP1PERFORMER

I've had it since 2004 and stored it inside just the way I got it. Bought it from a guy in PA but think he was just flipping it as it was. I thought the same thing. Maybe he drove it into a swamp. May never know.

Cuda Cody

worthywads

Husk Challenger

Maybe someone throw a non running spare engine in the car in order to sell it!
That could explain the missing parts and the flooding...  :notsure:
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

TOP1PERFORMER

Not sure. There were a couple of valves stuck open. I really don't have a clue why the rockers weren't there.

TOP1PERFORMER

I guess it's possible that the motor was swapped out but it was in as rough condition as the body. It appeared original.
I'm trying to identify all the Casting #s to confirm the year.

No one responded to the block not having any casting #s on it. That area looks clean and untouched without #s. Nothing was ground off. Again, I was told a long time ago that some factory replacement motors didn't have numbers. Not sure who could answer that one but it would be a big help.

76orangewagon

The area on the drivers side block just below the head was stamped for the engine assembly info, my 71 block is lightly stamped and a few digits and letters aren't visible. How about the pad above the oil pan rail on the passenger side behind the motor mount ? That number should contain the vin # and start with 1B ******

chargerdon

Really doesn't matter how it got that way but if anytime it sat in the rain, and water gets in it 10+ yrs of sitting will do that.   

At this point, pull the engine and disassemble and then see if it is a useable core !   If not get a 360 from a salvage yard and rebuild it... since that engine doesnt have a plate, then originality is out the door anyways, and 360's are cheap at the salvage yards, and can use the same 915 J heads and intake manifold to save money..    If the crankshaft is bad and needs replaced..then you might as well do a 360 stroker to 408...  cost is about the same.   

Good luck !