Main Menu

71 Challenger 383 Air Cleaner, Crinkle paint?

Started by peteantippas, May 25, 2018, 05:10:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

peteantippas

Looking for info on restoring the dual snorkel air cleaner on a 71 383.  I have seen some with crinkle paint, and some without.  From what I have read the hp 383's in 71 had the crinkle, is this true?  The other question I have is what would the best crinkle paint be?  I picked up the eastwood stuff to try, will this look decent or is there a better brand to use?  Thanks!

anlauto

If you have a local powder coating place, ask them about a wrinkle finish....I get all of mine powder coated now, can't beat the look... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

That's what I did also to mine . I have the Eastwood powder coat gun and an old oven I use to powder coat small items. Wrinkle powder looks great. There is a spray wrinkle paint but it's probably not as durable.

JS29

Quote from: anlauto on May 25, 2018, 05:22:24 AM
If you have a local powder coating place, ask them about a wrinkle finish....I get all of mine powder coated now, can't beat the look... :alan2cents:
:iagree: More durable!

Burdar

QuoteIf you have a local powder coating place, ask them about a wrinkle finish

:iagree:  That's going to be your most durable finish.  You can experiment with spray can textures too though.  There are a bunch of different ones out there.  The most readily available brand is probably VHT.  That's what I used on my heater controls and it turned out nice.  It's sold at Advance Auto.  Just make sure you follow the directions on the can.

I believe it states that you spray a light coat first, then follow up with medium/wet coats after that...making sure to spray at different angles on each coat.  You can speed up the wrinkling process by heating the part.  I put my heater control bezels out in the sun.  I've also used a heat gun on metal parts to speed up the wrinkling effect.

peteantippas

I do have a local one, I will go ask them before I spray anything, I didnt even think about powder coating.  Thanks! 

Jay Bee

I've used Harley Davidson Wrinkle Paint on heater control and radio plastic bezels and I've heard from a friend that he'd used it on breathers too. I seldom see him anymore to ask what kind of success he had.

Cuda Cody

A powder coating place would be the most durable, but if you try the rattle can stuff you have if can look good too.  On trick I do is to use a heat gun to "set" the wrinkle.  It's better then letting it dry outside or in the sun and gives you the ability to get a perfect even finish.  Practice with it a couple times and you'll get the hang of it.

autoxcuda

Heat your oven to the lowest setting ~170 deg

Put your blasted/prepped/clean air cleaner in there for 15 min.

Spray air cleaner with vht or equivalent. Thicker you put on the more the crinkle.

You'll have to devise some hanging arrangement to paint the whole air cleaner in one shot. Also a way to support it in your oven. I'd suggest in the carb mount circle.

Put it back in oven at 200 deg for 20 min. Then take out

Will dry very fast

Will be at least 50% as durable at powder coating. Many time ms more durable than room temp paint.

And most of all...much much less chance of fisheyes.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

RUNCHARGER

I agree PC it. FWIW my 71 R/T had a gloss black, correct dual snorkle on it when I bought it in 78.
Sheldon

peteantippas

So it seems many of you went crinkle.. thanks for all of the suggestions, I will be practicing some before i go at my air cleaner.  I think im going to have at it myself with the rattle can first see how it looks.  If it turns out to not be as durable as I would like i'll just re-blast it and send it to PC.  I still cant find anywhere chrysler documentation stating that 71 dual snorkel should be crinkle, matte, or gloss.. the ones I have seen are all crinkle, i'd just like to be sure.