Main Menu

71 cuda 727 trans flexplate to converter space

Started by culp71, April 24, 2018, 12:47:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

okay, so I am getting really close to actually breaking in the cam and driving this beast,
but I have a small check list that I've been compiling all along....and one of my last questions that I never got taken care of is:

what is stock or an acceptable distance between the torque converter and flex plate?

seemed like I had to pull the convert out of the tranny a little further then I would have like to, to reach the flex plate.
if I push it back into the trans all the way I can (I know it doesn't "ride" that far in) but is there a measurement I can get off of it to make sure I don't need to add any spacers between flex plate and converter?
(its the "stock" rebuilt 340, flex plate, new B&M converter and the stock 727 rebuilt trans)

Confirm distance to in out of trans/torque converter/ flexplate?

1 Wild R/T

I'm guessing about 3/16"...   Maybe 1/4"... Never measured it, don't know a spec but the last thing to line up is the front pump & it's probably 5/8" so if it were backed out 1/4" it would still have 3/8" of engagement to drive the pump....  Never seen a failure on a Mopar from insufficient contact...

Burdar

I know this was discussed on Moparts.  I THINK the spec was 1/8" but I don't remember.  I'd have to go do a search for the topic on Moparts.

EDIT: I found this.  It's not the discussion I remember but it seems as though the spec is 1/8" to 1/4".

QuoteWhen you push the converter into the trans until it stops you can't assume that what stops the converter is the pump drive hub bottoming in the pump, it could be the converter bowl hitting the pump housing.

Everybody seems to think that if you have more than 1/8" to 1/4" pull up to the flexplate the pump tangs won't be engaged properly and, conversely, that too little pull up means the pump drive hub is close to bottomed but, more likely, it is the bowl contacting the pump casting.

Easy enough to check; with a freshly painted converter, push it in until it stops and spin it...if it's hitting the pump casting the paint will show it. Many pump castings need to be machined for optimal clearance.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Strawdawg

1/8"-3/16" seems to be pretty common amongst the various converter manufacturers
Steve

RUNCHARGER

I keep thinking it is even more than 1/4" but I bet it is 1/4" with the low stall factory convertors and a bit more with the higher stall factory convertors. I find they stop moving back when the body of the convertor hits the bellhousing area of the trans case.
Sheldon