Main Menu

727 Auto Transmission

Started by mopar thunder, June 11, 2020, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

I have some leaks from my transmission and they aren't from the pan. I believe they are coming from the shift lever input. Are there O rings associated with that? Can you get to it w/o pulling the transmission?

kawahonda

Common leak point. Mine leaked like a pig from that seal until I had a trustworthy shop fix it.

The pan has to be dropped, and it can be replaced from the inside. Good time to just get your transmission serviced if you haven't yet....adjusting bands, new struts, new fluid, new filter, and a shift kit (if you wanted one). Also a good time to upgrade to a partial-throttle kick-down system if you have a 1970.  The shop also found another area that was susectable/leaking and fixed taht too. The bill wasn't very bad at all. Glad I had a pro do this for me. He was also able to improve the kick-down points for me as well.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

gzig5

I think I did mine from the outside?  But might be easier with the pan off.  There is a seal removal/installation tool you can buy. Not a bad job to have a shop do.  Good opportunity to have a flush, filter change, and band adjustment if you don't want to do it yourself.

mopar thunder

Short history, I got the car back from not having for awhile.....(long story, in another thread). They said they had to replace the pan gasket as it was leaking ($$). Got it back down from PA and found the pan was still leaking ....a lot. So I took it to a shop here and they said they could seal it ($$). Well it was still leaking after they worked on it.......So bought a new pan after another local shop told me "it looked like the car was jacked up by the pan." They installed it and sealed and and it wasn't leaking anymore. However after driving it I noticed fluid in the garage. Took it back and we put it up on the lift and noticed it was now leaking from the new spot. UGH....... This shop doesn't want to mess with it. So now I am back looking for a reputable shop who knows what they are doing.

Strawdawg

Another common leak place is out the end of the Park/Neutral switch around the plastic to surrounding metal joint.
Steve

mopar thunder

Thanks I'll check that out also. I have a coolant issue right now unfortunately so the leak will have to wait for now.

kawahonda

Factory freeze plugs will definitely be leaking by now.

Welcome to my world. :)
1970 Dodge Challenger A66