Main Menu

727 Experts ?

Started by anlauto, September 21, 2023, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I just had a 727 rebuilt (shop is closed right now, so I can't call them) so is it possible to have the shaft for the kick down lever "clocked" wrong ? It's seems like it could be 90* off  :dunno: is that even possible ? When the lever is on, there's no room for it to move, it hits the tranny case.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Are you sure you're not mounting it upside down? I know you've done a ton of cars but I screwed up that once myself.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 21, 2023, 04:19:15 PM
Are you sure you're not mounting it upside down? I know you've done a ton of cars but I screwed up that once myself.

I'm working with an aftermarket lever from Bouchillon Performance, just trying to figure out what's going on, as per their instructions, the lever only fits one way....that's why I was wondering if the tranny is wrong ?? I'll cut the F...ing lever and weld it back together if I have too.. :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Bullitt-

No expert but every picture I see the flat side is away from the transmission body

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

I agree, but what that picture, and every other one on the internet doesn't tell you is what position the shaft is in, in the picture...is it rotated full forward, or full back ? if it's full forwards (or clockwise) then mine is out 90*

Bullitt-

This is what I'll call the normal neutral position any should be in when the kickdown is not acting on it.. 
I just checked a spare I have & it can only be turned in one direction,

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

So, when you turn yours all the way clockwise, until it stops, is it in the same position as the photo ?

When the kickdown is "acting on it" it turns the shaft counter clockwise correct ?

anlauto

Which leads me to my original question, is it even possible to install this shaft wrong ?

Bullitt-

Quote from: anlauto on September 21, 2023, 06:22:05 PM
So, when you turn yours all the way clockwise, until it stops, is it in the same position as the photo ?

When the kickdown is "acting on it" it turns the shaft counter clockwise correct ?

From the perspective of above I can only turn the shaft counter clockwise(as the kickdown lever would) from it's normal position.
When released it automatically rotates clockwise to the normal position in the picture. 

as for can it be installed wrong??  apparently so  ::)

Katfish

Static position shown, it gets pulled back, counterclockwise when under load

anlauto

FIXED = after calling the shop this morning and telling them the issue, they had no real solution other than the fact I could turn the shaft by hand and there was no engagement with the valve, they determined something was wrong....LOL Wanted me to drop the pan and see what's going on...

Before doing that, I decided to remove the clip, push down on the shaft, turn it counter clockwise 90*, pull it back up and replace the clip..after doing that, everything now lines up as it should, it now engages the valve and Bob's your Uncle !

So to answer my question YES it's possible to reassemble the transmission with this shaft in the wrong position.

Thanks for all the input, this site is great ! :grouphug: :drinkingbud:

headejm

For future reference. Factory original parts.

tparker

Sorry, a little late to the party. I have been playing with my linkage for the last week trying to get every thing setup and adjusted. Here is a video that might help someone in the future that stumbles on the tread. It's an old Chrysler Tech video. Many of these are gold.

chargerdon

Quote from: anlauto on September 22, 2023, 06:59:04 AM
FIXED = after calling the shop this morning and telling them the issue, they had no real solution other than the fact I could turn the shaft by hand and there was no engagement with the valve, they determined something was wrong....LOL Wanted me to drop the pan and see what's going on...

Before doing that, I decided to remove the clip, push down on the shaft, turn it counter clockwise 90*, pull it back up and replace the clip..after doing that, everything now lines up as it should, it now engages the valve and Bob's your Uncle !

So to answer my question YES it's possible to reassemble the transmission with this shaft in the wrong position.

Thanks for all the input, this site is great ! :grouphug: :drinkingbud:

Wow...a reputable transmission shop did this ???????    That shaft is fixed connected to what's called the rooster comb, if it was actually in backwards then i doubt if the rooster comb would clear the casing...but..if it did then the rooster comb would not have actuated properly and you would NOT have been able to feel the "detents" in the shifting !!   Those detents you feel are actually a ball bearing clicking into the notches of the rooster comb.   Pushing it in and turning (if it even fits in the case) would have allowed that ball bearing to fall out of place.   With it re-installed and you turning  it you should be able to "feel" the detents for 1st, 2nd, Drive, and reverse if not then you got problems inside...bet that ball bearing is not in place !!!      Make sure before you install.