Main Menu

727-GearVendors-3:23 ?

Started by Mickm, September 12, 2017, 06:40:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Hi guys,

Has anyone put a GearVenors Over/Under-drive unit behind a 727 with 3:23 gears?

If so, how does it work?

Cheers!
Mickm

GoodysGotaCuda

That'd be low enough that you may want to pay attention to torque converter slip at lower cruising speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Mickm

GoodysGotaCuda
I agree. I am perfectly happy with my 3:23 gears around town and only plan to use the OD/UD on the interstate to keep rmp's down on road trips.
With my current 31" tall rear tire, at 75 I am turning 2700 rpm's, with the GV'ers it would be 1900.

My only real concerns are, will it try to keep downshifting at 75 and will it have adequate acceleration to pass a rice burner.

Cheers!
Mickm

HP_Cuda

GV gives you a high and low gear for each gear in your trans. So a 727 would have 6 possible selections.

They say it best from their website:

Here's why you care:
First, because most street cars will go quicker down the dragstrip if you can split the gears, since the engine stays closer to where it makes peak power. On the street, the Gear Vendors allows you to always find the right engine rpm for the conditions. Ever climb a hill with your 700-R4? In many cases, Overdrive is too high and Third is too low. With a Gear Vendors, choose Third/Over and you'll hit the engine's sweet spot. Finally, on the highway, your engine's comfortable cruise rpm will result in a mph that's 28 percent faster with the Gear Vendors engaged in top gear. For example, if you have a non-overdrive trans, 3.50 rear gears, and 27-inch-tall tires, you currently cruise 70 mph at 3,000 rpm. With the Gear Vendors, you can either drop your rpm at 70 to 2,400 or maintain the 3,000 rpm and hit nearly 90 mph.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Mickm on September 12, 2017, 08:26:23 AM
GoodysGotaCuda
I agree. I am perfectly happy with my 3:23 gears around town and only plan to use the OD/UD on the interstate to keep rmp's down on road trips.
With my current 31" tall rear tire, at 75 I am turning 2700 rpm's, with the GV'ers it would be 1900.

My only real concerns are, will it try to keep downshifting at 75 and will it have adequate acceleration to pass a rice burner.

Cheers!
Mickm

My concern is at 1900 there is quite a bit of load through the converter if it does not downshift. Which may make a lot of heat for you, depending on the converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

QuoteWith my current 31" tall rear tire, at 75 I am turning 2700 rpm's, with the GV'ers it would be 1900.

What stall is your converter rated for?  Aren't you going to have issues if you have a converter stall higher then your cruising RPM?  You said your RPM would be 1900 with the OD unit.  What if you have a 2500 or 3000 stall?

Mickm

I spoke with restorer today. He couldn't Remember stall but was sure it was a new stock one.

Cheers!
Mickm