Main Menu

727 oil cooling or lack of.

Started by redgum78, January 15, 2020, 11:21:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

redgum78

I want to test run my 440 with 727 but I do not have any trans cooler hoses run yet.

Do I have to loop the outlet and return to ensure a flow path or can the ports on a 727 be plugged with out doing damage?

I am not driving the car I just want to fire the engine, break in cam, etc.

Cheers

Dan

Burdar

At minimum I'd loop them.  If you have a cheap aftermarket trans cooler sitting around, I'd just plumb it to the cooler lines for piece of mind.  Transmissions generate a lot of heat in a short amount of time.  When you run in the cam, have the trans in neutral.  Unless you've changed the manual valve inside the valve body, the 727 and 904 don't fill the converter in Park.  You can starve the front bearing of oil if you run it in Park.  :alan2cents:

redgum78

Quote from: Burdar on January 16, 2020, 05:34:15 AM
At minimum I'd loop them.  If you have a cheap aftermarket trans cooler sitting around, I'd just plumb it to the cooler lines for piece of mind.  Transmissions generate a lot of heat in a short amount of time.  When you run in the cam, have the trans in neutral.  Unless you've changed the manual valve inside the valve body, the 727 and 904 don't fill the converter in Park.  You can starve the front bearing of oil if you run it in Park.  :alan2cents:

Thanks Burdar, I didn't know about the neutral v park situation.
:cheers:

JS29