Main Menu

727 to A41 Conversion - Good or Bad?

Started by 73_Cuda_4_Me, September 16, 2018, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73_Cuda_4_Me

Thinking of pulling the trigger on an SST Perfect Fit A41 Conversion Kit, special sale with free shipping...

Any thoughts or experiences good or bad on doing it?

:notsure:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

1973Barracuda

I am in the middle of it now. It is a complete kit as advertised. The wiring harness is bigger than I thought it would be. The instructions are decent.

Currently trying to decide where to mount the brain, so I can run the handheld box you make adjustments with inside.

A few members here have one, Brad is very happy with it.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Was hoping for a little more feedback, but thank you for yours, @1973Barracuda

With all the positive feedback, I decided to pull the trigger on the purchase... should ship October 9th...

Will start and document the conversion after we finish the fall color tour cruises coming up...

:woohoo:

BS23H3B

Brads70

I'm happy with mine, had it 5 years now? I was one of the last Keisler kits made.  From what I understand is some of the employee's from Keisler  started up silver sport.
I hid my controller in the ash tray. ( simple shift controller)

1973Barracuda

The controller you get will be different than Brads. It is a small pad, no knobs, all electronic. Some of the instructions are a little vague, as far as what bolts go where, but you can figure it out.

I pulled a 904 out, and man, that 41is heavy compared to it.

I still need to remove the fittings where the lines go, they are tight! So tight I am scared to put more ass on them. Been putting it off for a bit as I am waiting for other parts for my project.

73_Cuda_4_Me

:thankyou: to both of you, Brads70 and 1973Barracuda!

I downloaded all the pertinent manuals from SST, and have been reading everything over - the TCI EZ-TCU looks to be an interesting control unit that will fit mounted to the dash light bar, between my fuel and oil pressure (where right blank used to be), so it would be in front of the Ammeter, which really isn't accurate anyway since I bypassed alternator to starter relay, and installed a voltmeter below radio.

I'll be able to mount the main box behind glove box, since I installed VintageAir system earlier this summer, so it's pretty wide open in front of passenger seat on interior of firewall...

BS23H3B

73_Cuda_4_Me

I also upgraded the torque converter to the 2600-3000 stall, figured I wouldn't be able to get a better deal for 180 bucks!

BS23H3B

Brads70

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 28, 2018, 04:14:20 PM
I also upgraded the torque converter to the 2600-3000 stall, figured I wouldn't be able to get a better deal for 180 bucks!
I went with the higher stall also, the middle option....

1973Barracuda

The connectors drove me to figure out the routing I didn't want to drill bigger holes in the dash. I am mounting the brain under the heater valve on a shelf, and the controllthru the floor. They are connected. I think that is how I will do it anyways.

73_Cuda_4_Me

I got a blanking plate with VintageAir unit that covers where the blower motor used to be, so I have a good pathway to get into the cabin, right behind the glove box, and above the dash vents mounted on bottom of the dash on passenger side. Will have to see how big the connector is from TCU going to the head unit, might be able to go through the 1-inch? blanking plate on far right side of dash above radio where an optional light could be, but is not on mine...

BS23H3B

1973Barracuda

Nope. Bigger than one inch. I measur3d all the holes in my firewall. I think the connector was about 2 inch.

1973Barracuda

Brads70

On the transmission , those square looking bosses above the casting number 96 in my picture, I'd saw them off or at least shorten them by 1/4" or so, as they slightly hit on my car. Just thought I'd mention it....

73_Cuda_4_Me

Thanks, those bosses do stick out a bit! I appreciate all the info!

BS23H3B

1973Barracuda