Main Menu

727 to A41 Conversion - Good or Bad?

Started by 73_Cuda_4_Me, September 16, 2018, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73_Cuda_4_Me

:veryexcited: Officially the Cuda is up for the winter, and starting the 727 to A-41 conversion...

Exhaust pipes off, driveshaft off, crossmember off, fluids drained, dizzy out, trans oil lines off, shift linkage off, speedo disconnected, backup light disconnected, starter wiring disconnected.

I picked up a low profile transmission jack from HF for $115 to assist with removal and installation... pretty nice unit!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

73_Cuda_4_Me

:wrenching:

Day 2 -

Headers off, starter out, transmission lines out, transmission out, flex plate off...

Trial fit of starter using spacer pointed out that the lower mounting hole in spacer was undersize for bolt clearance, so drilled that out to fit properly. First problem I've come across so far... fingers crossed!

Installed flex line fittings - yes on how hard it is removing the quick-connect fittings used in testing.... they are tight! Got them out, though, and installed the 90-degree fittings with teflon paste, and installed flex lines.

Brute-rolled (BFH) the tunnel/firewall seam forward at 10 and 2 oclock positions as instructed.

Installed new flex plate and bolts with blue threadlocker (removable), torqued bolts to 55.

Installed transmission isolator and checked TC for proper clearance from front face of transmission.

Next up is TCU wiring... was a good place to break for the day...

:ohyeah:

BS23H3B

1973Barracuda

73, I am stilll scared to take those fittings out! I think I will break something.
I am slow rolling. Waiting for my k member to put the engine on it and will go from underneath for the first time.

73_Cuda_4_Me

A 3/8" drive 6-point socket worked for me... tight, but I've worked on tighter ones on machinery.

Also, all my bags of hardware were properly marked as far as where bolts and stuff goes... starter/bell housing, shifter bracket, crossmember...

BS23H3B