Main Menu

727 Torqueflite filter screws

Started by elan71, June 09, 2021, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

elan71

Hi
I have a 727 Torqueflite transmission on my 71 'Cuda.
The oil pan leaks and I just wanted to change the seal so that everything is ok again. When I have the pan away I can also change the filter. Easy job....sometimes not.
Now to my problem. When I want to mount the new filter with the 3 Torx screws, seems as the screws are too short. I then tried to screw in the screws without the filter and found that one thread in the gearbox is stripped. One is still OK, the other had already had the best time.
I have no experience with an automatic transmission like the 727.
What should I do?
Take longer screws? Is this possible?... but I do not like that.
Can I repair the threads somehow without that I have to remove the whole gearbox? This would be my favorit. I have already used Helicoil, but there are swarf and they should not be in the gearbox.
How have you solved such a problem?
Thank you for your help in advance and greetings from Switzerland.
Daniel

71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

JonH

If they are really torx head screws they are not original. Have they been replaced with metric? I would check the depth of the holes in the valve body and see if they will accept longer screws. Hopefully they are not stripped the entire depth of the hole. They should be SAE threads...

elan71

Thank you JonH
As I found on the internet, there are new or rebuild ones with a torx instead of the philps head. Can I remove the valve body? Are there some springs and other small items jumping around if I remove it?
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

Chryco Psycho

Yes you can remove the valve body , you need to disconnect the shift linkage , 1 Large acuumulator spring will come out but the valve body is self contained .

elan71

Yes, I will check some youtube videos as well.
I'm thinking to buy a new and maybe improoved valve body.

Have some of you done this? If yes, any recomondations? Should be an easy job, right?
I habe a 340 and I just cruise and enjoy. I don' t go for racing, burnouts or track strip. But a good smooth shift would be nice all the time.
Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

7212Mopar

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/

I got a build complete 727 from him and very please with it.

He sells standard factory rebuild to racing valve bodies. John might be able to repair and rebuild yours. Give him a call or email.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

elan71

Thank you 7212Mopar
I sent him an e-mail, hope to get an answer soon. Looks very good on his website.
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic