Main Menu

727 Torqueflite rooster comb swap

Started by bross1004, January 15, 2020, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bross1004

Just discovered the 727 Torqueflite in my 70 Challenger is not a 1970 trans as advertised. I new it wasnt numbers matching, but never thought to verify the year until i had the NSS issues. I want to adapt the trans to accept a 3 prong NSS which means i need to swap out the rooster comb for one from a 1970 A727. Is there anyone that has done this? I've read forums of people speculating, but no actual experience. Some say it would fit fine, just gotta swap the rooster comb, others say the input shaft would not fit the different rooster comb. Thanks in advance for any help.

headejm

@bross1004 You could try contacting Cope Racing Transmissions. They are experts when it comes to 727 transmissions.

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/?page_id=415

Good luck!

dodj

I'm no trans expert but you have more than 1970 to choose from. My '76 transmission has the 3 prong switch.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

screamindriver

I've actually done it... You can use the rooster comb from a 69 or 70 trans..Either year will work..You could use a 71-up but more parts need changed out than just the comb itself..most will just use the whole valve body so you gain the part throttle kickdown feature from the 71-up valve body..

bross1004

Screamindriver,
Only parts needed to replace is just the new rooster comb and associated NSS? I dont need a spacer or any other parts to fit the needs rooster comb in?

screamindriver

Quote from: bross1004 on January 15, 2020, 09:43:08 PM
Screamindriver,
Only parts needed to replace is just the new rooster comb and associated NSS? I dont need a spacer or any other parts to fit the needs rooster comb in?
That's correct...I was lucky enough to have a 70 trans for the picking when I did the last one..Pulled the rooster comb and the switch and swapped them out...