Main Menu

727 yoke doesn’t fit transmission

Started by rdf, August 27, 2020, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

I just picked up my driveshaft after having it shortened and getting a new yoke and u joints.  I went to install it and the yoke doesn't seem to fit over the spline on the transmission.  I noticed the yoke has a "key" on the bottom but the spline in the transmission doesn't.

Is it the wrong yoke? Here's a short video of what I'm talking about.
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

anlauto

I've never seen the slip yoke have a master spline, or the type of U Joints in your other thread...I'm no expert, but I think you have the wrong slip yoke :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Yolks usually have a "master spline", this is not a master spline though , it is to allow air & oil to get through , the trans main shaft is fullly splined , It would be almost impossible to remove the yolk as it would create a vacuum inside the yolk .
Having said that , it may be the incorrect yolk , the 904 uses a smaller yolk for example , could be a different application .

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 27, 2020, 09:28:59 PM
Yolks usually have a "master spline", this is not a master spline though , it is to allow air & oil to get through , the trans main shaft is fullly splined , It would be almost impossible to remove the yolk as it would create a vacuum inside the yolk .
Learned something new today.  Thks CP  :bigthumb:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 27, 2020, 09:28:59 PM

Yup....thank you....I guess that's something I never noticed before  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

rdf

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments...I'm always learning something new on this site.   :)

I took the driveshaft back to the shop this morning and the guy took me to the back where he slipped it right on the tailshaft of a 727.  He thinks there may be a spur on one of the splines but after seeing the video he also recommended using some grease to help. I'm working the rest of the day but will try this out either tonight or tomorrow.  Thanks again!  :worship:
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.