Main Menu

73 340 Fan Shroud

Started by Barracudamuscle, December 28, 2020, 02:15:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Barracudamuscle

Hello,

I'm slowly assembling my 73 340. I got a replacement radiator and a fan shroud with brackets.

I can't for the life of me figure out how it goes together. I'm suspecting it's not the correct part for my configuration. The shroud looks like it may just bolt in place but the fan doesn't penetrate the shroud more than 1".

Can you gods of Mopar set me straight?

Thanks for your time!

blown motor

@Barracudamuscle Give me a measurement on the depth of your shroud. I'll check mine tomorrow. I have a 73 340 in a 74 Challenger.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

That looks correct to me , the fan doesn't need to be inside the shroud very much to be effective , this way you have a lot of room between the fan & rad .

Barracudamuscle

[mention]Blownmotor [/mention]

Thanks that's be much appreciated to verify it's correct!

From the leading edge of the fan blade to the edge of the shroud it's 1 5/8"

Radiator core to edge of shroud 3 7/8", 4 7/8" to aft of fan blade.

[mention]Cryco psycho [/mention]

Thanks for that input, that makes sense! Last time I drove this car it had major overheating issues on the freeway. It's been a garage queen so reworking it.

Addressing the cooling issues I changed the water pump, thermostat w/housing, hoses, heater core, added a fan shroud that was missing and replaced the radiator with an OEM style 22" which was bigger then what ever my dad had replaced the original one with years ago.

The bigger question I have is how do there shroud brackets attach, and are they even necessary compared to placing a bolt and nut on all 4 corners?

I don't see how/why to have the extra holes and such on the side bracket in this configuration.

I appreciate everyone's help to ensure this is done right.

EV2RTSE

The brackets should attach to the radiator as in this picture. The radiator you have doesn't look original?, does it have provisions for the cage nuts in the right places to attach the shroud brackets?

xx88man

FWIW my car had overheating issues too. The radiator cap ended up being the issue. $5 repair
Keep yer foot in it

Barracudamuscle

Quote from: EV2RTSE on December 31, 2020, 06:52:11 AM
The brackets should attach to the radiator as in this picture. The radiator you have doesn't look original?, does it have provisions for the cage nuts in the right places to attach the shroud brackets?
Thanks for that info! I ordered this replacement radiator from YO. It does have holes to put bolts and a nut to retain it. Looks like this may be the way forward for now.

The proper bracket/radiator combo looks like it doesn't provide any further depth to the fan into the shroud.

This isn't a show pony car, mom blew the numbers matching 340 while dad was deployed and the oil was too low so not "correct" but for now my goal is just to get her reliable and drivable so they can drive it again as they are getting older.

Barracudamuscle

Quote from: xx88man on December 31, 2020, 07:34:32 AM
FWIW my car had overheating issues too. The radiator cap ended up being the issue. $5 repair
Thanks! I changed the cap and that didn't help. I think the main problem was the radiator installed was smaller than 22", non OEM, and had flow issues.

I just wanted to nip it in the bud and change everything.

blown motor

@Barracudamuscle Yours looks the same as mine. It's the leading edge of the fan blade that grabs the air. The rest of the blade just pushes it. You should be good.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Barracudamuscle

Quote from: blown motor on December 31, 2020, 01:36:30 PM
@Barracudamuscle Yours looks the same as mine. It's the leading edge of the fan blade that grabs the air. The rest of the blade just pushes it. You should be good.
Thanks for your help! It'll be a bit before I get it running again, but glad I can chip away at the to do list!