Main Menu

'74 SB Max Cool Upper Radiator Hose - Correct Part Number?

Started by moparroy, August 02, 2022, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Before I go and order yet another radiator hose ... wondering if someone can confirm that Gates 20874 is the right part for the upper rad hose for 1974 Cuda 360 with 26" max cool radiator. I cannot find a Gates application guide.
The hose removed from the car some years ago is the center one in the pic - and it fits but I would prefer to put on a new one.
Knowing I would need or want a new one some time ago I ordered one on spec from RA. Their catalogue as most others describe the hoses as A/C and non A/C so I ordered a non A/C as the car does not have A/C. It is the one on the left of the pic. When I went to install it I realized A/C is really code for Max Cool as I think you would have gotten max cool with A/C option? It had looked familiar to me so I did not give it a closer look until I went to install it. It would have been the right upper hose for my 318 Satellite from way back.
So last week I ordered a Delco 26029X upper hose for w/ A/C from RA. What I received today is the one on the right of the pic. Its totally not right - its two dimensional only (lays flat on the floor) - does not have the turn down for the thermostat connection. Yet the RA pic for this part and most other on line catalogues clearly show the 3D down turn bend for the Tstat. Interesting many of the catalogues showing multiple pics for Delco 26029X if you look close actually show the Gates 20874 labelled part. So I requested a refund from RA - concerned if they send me a replacement it may be another "S" shaped hose. I am partial to Gates if I need to pay shipping again - I ordered Delco last week cause I needed some other stuff from that warehouse.

moparroy

For those of you interested... I rolled the dice... again...
The Gates 20874 is a good fit. Needed to trim about 2" off the rad end. Its not an exact match to what I removed but a good fit close replacement. Course I don't know if the one removed was OE - suspect not actually - it was in decent shape. The lower was definitely stiffer and probably OE.