Main Menu

741 vs 489 ?

Started by anlauto, November 09, 2017, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

If you want peroid correct 489 is your case, otherwise the 741 will work.

Even though the debate on which pig is best I have yet to see someone show me a broken 741 at the pinion shaft.

I'm sure it's possible I just haven't seen one yet.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

LinceCuda

Quote from: crackedback on November 10, 2017, 11:02:57 AM
Someone wrote an article years ago proclaiming hte 741 was "weak".

I'd build the 741 and be done with it.   I've run a lot more than 500hp through them and the pinion IS NOT the weak link in ANY 8.75 case.  It's one of the biggest red-herring, $ wasting things in the mopar community.
I've got a 741 in my Cuda right now with the pinion sheared in  2 pieces with less than 500 hp. I know from my drag racing days nobody in our group of 15 would run 741 because of the pinion. HP goes through the pinion first  and with 1 3/8 I'll pass on the 741 all day long. But if you've had good service from the 741 by all means keep running them. When I can go out and by a 489's a $100 I'm going with the 489.

Brads70

:deadhorse:   :Stirring:
I couldn't decide and took Neil's advise sold the  8 3/4  and bought a Dana and was done with it!
:D :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself.  :)

LinceCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on November 10, 2017, 03:35:38 PM
:deadhorse:   :Stirring:
I couldn't decide and took Neil's advise sold the  8 3/4  and bought a Dana and was done with it!
:D :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself.  :)
Lol great reply if I say so myself.

Chryco Psycho

After you have scattered as many diifs as I have go bog or go home , Dana is my choice !! :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

I have to agree: For a stock resto a 8 3/4 is fine however if you have a modified car and need to spend money rebuilding an 8 3/4 I always go directly to a Dana. You can't do a $100 rebuild on a diff anymore so when you're looking at $800 and up for rebuild parts for an 8 3/4 it just doesn't make any sense to rebuild them and still have a weak link.
Sheldon

anlauto

Huge shout out to Cass at Dr.Diff.....
I decided to order the parts to just rebuild the 741 case that the owner already had....When I went to checkout on their website, the shipping calculator said it was $230 shipping to my CDN address.....

Cass bent over backwards to help me with shipping and saved me over $100 bucks :bigmoney:

Most companies would just  :takemymoney: :steamingmad:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Not that it matters but if you have a Broadcast sheet check for the axle code.... Code 100 is a 741 case in a 70 E body 3.23 no Sure Grip but Big U joint...  I've seen two Challenger R/T's with that axle....  So a 489 while generally accepted as correct isn't always correct...

anlauto

This 741 case is original to the car according to the owner, but he bought it in 1977 so who knows. No broadcast sheet.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration