Main Menu

What's the go-to gasket for small block valve covers?

Started by FSHTAIL, June 25, 2020, 10:19:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I've got an LA 340 with cast-iron heads.
I'm running the ol Mopar Performance valve covers.

What's the go-to valve cover gasket that everyone seems to like?

I've been running Moroso blues for a little while and they still seem to leak a little bit even after snugging them down of while sitting on jack stand for a while. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

partsmonsta

Moroso makes a killer pair that you can reuse.
And the Felpro ones are great also. They make a cork version and a higher priced premium black version that is some kind of plastic. They work really great, cuz you can reuse them, too.
You can use the less expensive Felpro cork, just make sure you dont overtighten them.
--------------------------
Check for leaks upon startup by running your finger around the entire base of the valve cover, then after the car warms up and is driven. An oil leak from a valve cover can ignite your engine, especially if you run headers. Be safe, seal those leaks.
Oil leaks are really tuff to put out, recommend a fire extinguisher in your E Body.
:crazytalk:

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Shane Kelley

I really like these with aluminum valve covers. They hold up real well after several valve cover removals and re installs. I glue them to the valve cover so they just stay on them when removed. They have a nice formed impression after use. Gaskets are thick and don't squeeze out when over tightened. I get them from Summit Racing.

headejm

On factory cast iron heads, I like to machine the gasket surface during rebuild. Just go deep enough to clean up the surface. Really helps with gasket sealing, especially with the factory stamped valve covers.  :cheers:

73chalngr

I just put some fel-pro. Cork - lam 1646 on my small block without any problems . Recommend by this forum .

Burdar

Did you clearance your valve covers so they don't touch the intake runners?  That's the problem with cast valve covers.  The stock stamped steel covers have notches on the inside rail to clear the intake.  If you don't clearance the cast covers (or use a tall gasket) the they will hit the intake and not seal.  When I ran the MP covers, I doubled up the gaskets and STILL had to grind material off of the valve covers for clearance.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Burdar on June 26, 2020, 09:53:09 AM
Did you clearance your valve covers so they don't touch the intake runners?  That's the problem with cast valve covers.  The stock stamped steel covers have notches on the inside rail to clear the intake.  If you don't clearance the cast covers (or use a tall gasket) the they will hit the intake and not seal.  When I ran the MP covers, I doubled up the gaskets and STILL had to grind material off of the valve covers for clearance.
The gaskets need notched as well. Stiffer gaskets won't sink down around the runners.

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

340challconvert

Quote from: partsmonsta on June 26, 2020, 05:44:03 AM
Moroso makes a killer pair that you can reuse.
And the Felpro ones are great also. They make a cork version and a higher priced premium black version that is some kind of plastic. They work really great, cuz you can reuse them, too.
You can use the less expensive Felpro cork, just make sure you dont overtighten them.
--------------------------
Check for leaks upon startup by running your finger around the entire base of the valve cover, then after the car warms up and is driven. An oil leak from a valve cover can ignite your engine, especially if you run headers. Be safe, seal those leaks.
Oil leaks are really tuff to put out, recommend a fire extinguisher in your E Body.
:crazytalk:

OMG  :crying:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

nsmall

autoxcuda

I ran the Mopar Performance grey ones from 1995 to 2011.

60K Miles. Across the desert, frigid Iowa winters outdoors, LA gridlock, Willow Springs track days... whatever

Not that they went bad, I just changed valve covers and old motor is under a bench now.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...