Main Menu

904 transmission yoke vs 727 yoke

Started by Strawdawg, December 30, 2018, 05:32:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Strawdawg

Does the 727 use a different yoke from what is used on a 904?  I am trying to get prepared to swap a 727 behind a 440 replacing a 318 with a 904 behind it.

I know the 727 is four inches longer but I want to make sure the yokes are interchangeable OR get a new yoke for the 727 if the one in the 904 is different. :)
Steve

Strawdawg

I guess the answer is that I need a new yoke (of course, nothing is simple) from what I have read here

http://www.darkside.ca/node/31

A-904, 998 ,999
The 904 is a light duty version of the 727 and is smaller in size and lighter in weight. It was used mainly with the /6 and 273 engines. The 998 is a heavier duty version designed for the 318 engine. The 999 is the heaviest of the 904 type transmissions and was used behind 360 engines in 1974 - 1979. The drive shaft yoke on the 904 series transmissions is smaller than the 727 so they are not interchangeable. The length is also shorter than the 727 so if you want to swap in a 727 for your 904 drive shaft shortening is necessary.
Steve

aussiemark

727 slip yokes come with 2 different size uni joints you will need the 7260 (same size as 904) the 7290 is bigger

BIGSHCLUNK

You may be able to go to your local recycler and buy an old drive shaft w a 727 yoke for less than buying the yoke new... :wrenching:

7212Mopar

727 output shaft diameter is larger than 904 and will not interchange. 904 typically comes with 7260 u joint and 727 with 7290 u joint. 727 also comes in big block and small block bell housings. For 440, you need the big block 727. Your 904 driveshaft will be too long for the 727 and will not accept a 7290 u joint. You should use at least a 7290 u joint for a 440. So I would get a new driveshaft or find a big block driveshat in good condition and use new u joints. Your original  pinon yoke will likely take a 7260 u joint. So you either replace the pinon yoke or use a conversion u joint. That will become the weak link in your driveline.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Burdar

The 904 based 500 overdrive uses the larger 727 slip yoke.  Just throwing that out there in case you're looking for a used one.  You can find them on early 90's Dakotas.

Strawdawg

I have a matching 440 and TF727 in my shop.  I used most of the stuff off it when I dropped a stroker in my Challenger.  Now, I want to pull the 318/904 or 909 out of my son's wagon and give him some get up and go.  Okay, he wants to do it LOL

It takes a surprising amount of stuff to do the swap.  He's 300 miles away and I am out in the boondocks without easy access to stuff so I am trying to make a list and start accumulating the needed stuff.

He drove it up to show me right before Christmas and when I put it on the rack and got under it, I noticed both engine mounts plus the tranny mount were completely gone and the engine was cocked a bit and laying up against the tunnel. Got mounts overnighted in and it took about 15 hrs to get everything in place and back together.  Laying on a cold concrete floor in 36 deg weather at 1:30 in the morning was not on my list of things to do for Christmas.  It explained when it was vibrating and making funny noises when it was idling after about 50 miles of the way here, tho.

Also explained why it wanted to pop out of Drive LOL

The fan clutch died 50 miles from here but I had one from the Challenger so that was an easy fix.  It drove home much better than it did coming up, he said.  I could have swapped the 440 in the same amount of time if I had everything.  Trying to shift that engine/tranny back into place with no cherry picker on hand took a bit of effort but we got it done.

Looks like it has 7260's on both ends.  Given that I need a 4" shorter shaft, I think I will just try to come up with one ready to drop in as I was thinking that would be the hang up point out here.  At 77, I don't like laying on cold floors and I don't like to be unprepared!
Steve

aussiemark

I am sure if you fit new quality (Moog or Spicer) uni joints the 7260 will be fine with a 440 and auto trans.

Chryco Psycho

I agree with you on laying on cold floors , I did that one time & I was sick for months afterward

Strawdawg

Need to invent a cushioned, heated mat to lay on for the winter...or win the lottery and build a shop with heated floors.

Moving to central America would solve a lot of those problems :D
Steve