Main Menu

!970 'Cuda ECS Fuel System

Started by floorit426, November 29, 2019, 08:50:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

floorit426

I'm accumulating the parts to restore my my original Ca. spec. car, fuel system, back to original. I have a few questions. I know the fuel and vapor return lines are available, but the return lines are available both in 1/4" and 5/16". Which is correct, for my application? Also, Spectra does not show that they have the 1970 tank, with the four vent lines that run out the passenger side. Does anyone know where I can get one? Lastly, I do have the original fuel vapor separator, off my car. It has been sitting in my parts box, for 40+ years. Can this still be used? I hear that some of the repops, have issues.

Thanks,
Bill

1 Wild R/T

The 5/16 line is for the ECS vapor return, it returns evaporated fuel vapor from the fuel tank through the separator in the trunk to the crankcase......   The 1/4" is a fuel return line back to the tank from the fuel separator mounted on the engine.... It's intended to prevent vapor lock....

You should have three lines on your car, one 3/8" fuel supply, one 5/16" vapor return & one 1/4" fuel return...

Use your original separator, nothing in if goes bad unless it rusts.... Yours hasn't...LOL...

There are tanks available    http://dynacorndepot.com/gas-tank-1970-72-wecs-until-372-t85-challenger-70-72

floorit426

Thanks, that clears it up, for me. It looks like Dynacorn may be a dead end, though. They offer an ECS tank, for a Challenger, but I didn't see on, for a 'Cuda. I'll give them a call.

tman

floorit426

I found, thanks! 521 had it, for a very reasonable price, with free shipping! Thanks, again.

anlauto

What size engine do you have ? Only the 440+6 or Hemi would have a 3/8 main line, all others would be a 5/16 main line, and I believe the ECS didn't automatically include the 1/4 vapour line unless the car was a 440+6 or Hemi.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on November 30, 2019, 10:18:58 AM
What size engine do you have ? Only the 440+6 or Hemi would have a 3/8 main line, all others would be a 5/16 main line, and I believe the ECS didn't automatically include the 1/4 vapour line unless the car was a 440+6 or Hemi.

440 Magnum also has 3/8" line.... But FWIW Floor it 426 is what we call a clue....   :haha:

anlauto

Yes a 70 U code would also have a 3/8 main line, I forgot about them. :headbang:  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

floorit426

Yeah, it's an original hemicar. I replaced the original tank and lines 40 years ago, with a non-ECS unit.
Fortunately, I think I have all the difficult parts to find. 

anlauto

The tank should be the same as a 1971-72 Cuda then :alan2cents: available just about anywhere. Try David at Roseville or Rockauto for member discounts. :twothumbsup: