Main Menu

A couple of engine detail questions

Started by fireguyfire, November 13, 2019, 11:26:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

IMO it is your car & there never was a 73 big block so you could use the later oval inlet air cleaners used on B bodies or .....
You can paint the engine any color you like & same with the air cleaner , as 6 bbl says it would have been blue & orange , Nothing is going to be "correct" anyway

headejm

:iagree: with Burdar the blue engine with orange air cleaner would look period correct in a 1973. But if period correct is not important to you...

1. The distributor hold down clamp for 1970 BB is zinc plated (silver).
2. The dual snorkel air cleaner is black wrinkle. I used VHT Wrinkle Plus.

If you don't care about period correct, what color is your car? Would a blue engine/orange air cleaner or an orange engine/black air cleaner look better under the hood?

fireguyfire

6bblgt

the air cleaners are the same with the exception of the "hump" on the snorkels that appeared during the '71 model year

& a '73 340 would be blue with an orange air cleaner also

6bblgt

not that it matters, but are we talking:
a September of '69 (1970 engine) or a September of '70 (1971 engine)?

383HP or 383 4-barrel

fireguyfire

I posted the numbers up here a while ago and the numbers guru said my engine went into a Challenger RT that was made in September 1970; I'll dig it up and post a link

benlavigne

This is what a blue Hi-Po engine looks like in a factory 72 440-6 Road Runner GTX...
Kind of weird when you are used to see them in orange, but it works in a red car!

Ben

I like the blue engines. Will do mine one day.

headejm

:alan2cents:

Brite Red car
Blue engine
Black air cleaner

Might look good? Anybody have a photo with that combination?