Main Menu

A engine waterneck question

Started by IMNCARN82, June 22, 2020, 04:36:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IMNCARN82

Sooo.  Is the Chevy waterneck the same as the A engine ?  I'm looking for billet 90*.  So I'm wondering if it will work.  Not many options.   Thanks. 
R/T
round tail lights forever !!

YellowThumper

Best I can find is the answer is no.
Thinking back thru the years. Chev housings have always looked smaller at their mounting bases.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

IMNCARN82

So yes but no thermostat. Ha.  Yea. That's what I thought.  Thanks.  I'll prob. Just modify the cast one from Mancini then.   

What's the drawback from no tstat? This car has no heater.

R/T.   

YellowThumper

No thermostat could go either way.
May run too cold all the time or end up getting hot because there is too much flow and water does not spend enough time in radiator to effectively cool.
This would be old school motor. If you have new gen. Then ya need the heat proper for all the electronics to be happy.
At minimum run a restrictor plate sandwiched between 2 gaskets.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

The engine will warm uo faster with a T stat , it also can run too hot without the T stat in place , Best to run a 180 or 190 *

HP2

Moroso, Mr Gasket and a few others used to make water neck restrictors that were designed the slow down coolant flow for cars without a t-stat. They were simply a set of t-stat OD sized washers with various sizes of holes in the middle to restrict flow to varying degrees.

RUNCHARGER

Engine wear increases without a thermostat and efficiency decreases.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 23, 2020, 07:31:09 AM
Engine wear increases without a thermostat and efficiency decreases.
:iagree:
This exactly. The engine is supposed to be at a certain temp range. Once the engine is warmed up to 180-190 (whatever the original spec) all the parts have expanded to fit together as designed.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

With the ride you already have....
Overall it wouldn't cost much to have a custom one machined. Could even purchase the one you are looking at and have a base to it machined that fits what you need.

Mike.

IMNCARN82

Thanks all!   Yea I'll just run wut I brung for now I guess.  Can always tinker later.  I agree.  Should have a tstat in there. 

HP2

The bolt pattern for them is the same, so yes, the housing will bolt to a mopar manifold.  However, as pointed out in yellowthumpers attachment, the t-stat diameter and location within the housing is different.  Mopars sit in the water neck recess, chevys sit in a manifold recess. So you will need the recess machined into one or the other to retain use of a t-stat or flow restrictors. 

https://www.holley.com/products/gaskets/other_gaskets/parts/738G

IMNCARN82

Couldn't I use a Chevy tstat ?  :bricks:

HP2

Sure, but you still need to  have a recess milled into either the housing or the manifold. Chevy put the recess in the manifold so their housing  doesn't have the lip. Mopar put the recess in the housing, so the manifold doesn't have the lip.

Using a chevy t-stat housing with a mopar manifold means there is no step in either one to hold the t-stat. You might get away with using multiple gaskets to seal  above and below the 'stat, but it is a leak risk.

Using a mopar housing and a chevy manifold means you can use either t-stat.