Main Menu

A little water pump leak ...

Started by THE ZUKE, December 30, 2018, 01:10:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

THE ZUKE

Hello guys  ;)
Having a small leak on a gasket of the water pump (Cuda 440), I find only paper gaskets.
Is there a better quality in the trade than paper?
If there is only paper, should there be an additional seal with joint compound (on both sides of the new gasket?).
Thank you for your answers :bigthumb:

For exemple a link : https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fel-11731/overview/make/dodge

A.Gramz

Most water gaskets I've seen are paper. If both matting surfaces are flat and  smooth it should be good by itself.  But if your worried about a repeat leak or it's pited a bit loctite 515 (on both sides of gasket) is the best sealant I've used.   

THE ZUKE

Quote from: A.Gramz on December 30, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
Most water gaskets I've seen are paper. If both matting surfaces are flat and  smooth it should be good by itself.  But if your worried about a repeat leak or it's pited a bit loctite 515 (on both sides of gasket) is the best sealant I've used.

Ok thank you for the advice  :bigthumb:. I have done the same thing, one time on my ex Mach 1 (Loctite on both sides of one water gasket).

I don't know if it's the first time for this leak because I have bought this car only 3 months ago.

RUNCHARGER

There is a weep hole in the WP housing. If the seal is leaking it will weep out that hole indicating a new WP is in order.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
It could be a very small leak starting at the seal & dripping down from the weep hole

THE ZUKE

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 30, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
There is a weep hole in the WP housing. If the seal is leaking it will weep out that hole indicating a new WP is in order.

Ok  :notsure: and what is the best solution? Change the gasket by a new and put loctite on both sides ?  :thinking:

Chryco Psycho

if the coolant is coming from the weep hole you need a new or rebuilt pump , many options are available from stock iron 6 or 8 blade to high flow alum pumps , I usually just use a thin layer of silicone on both sides of the gasket

THE ZUKE

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 31, 2018, 04:27:35 AM
if the coolant is coming from the weep hole you need a new or rebuilt pump , many options are available from stock iron 6 or 8 blade to high flow alum pumps , I usually just use a thin layer of silicone on both sides of the gasket

How to know where the liquid flows? I do not know it just seems like drops are coming out between the back of the water pump and the front of the engine. When the car has rolled and is stopped for some time, a small puddle forms under the car. In slow motion, I see practically nothing abnormal. It is not easy to find this little leak because hardly anything flows.

For me the aluminium water pump is praticly new.

RUNCHARGER

If the seal is leaking you will see residue of the coolant leaking out the hole. If the pump is fairly new do as CP says and silicone both sides of the gaskets (sparingly). Check for flatness and burrs on the gasket mating surfaces as well.
Sheldon

THE ZUKE

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 31, 2018, 09:00:58 AM
If the seal is leaking you will see residue of the coolant leaking out the hole. If the pump is fairly new do as CP says and silicone both sides of the gaskets (sparingly). Check for flatness and burrs on the gasket mating surfaces as well.

Ok  :bigthumb:

Silicone like this link (for example) : http://store.440source.com/Permatex-Silicone-Ultra-Grey-35-oz/productinfo/138-1012/ or Loctite 515 like this other link : https://www.amazon.fr/Loctite-38655-Gasket-Anaerbc-1-69oz/dp/B0002KKTTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546281592&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+515

jimynick

Zuke, if you put your fingers under the nose of the water pump out near where the pulley goes on you should feel a small 3-5mm hole. If the seal is leaking, that's where the fluid will come out and it usually runs along under the nose of the pump until it hits something vertical and then drips. One way or the other, you're into pulling the pump. I don't think I've ever seen a pump leak past the gasket where that didn't happen the same time you put it together and ran it. You can also grab the fan and wiggle it forwards and then backwards and there should be no movement of the pulley, so look closely. Bon chance!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

THE ZUKE

Quote from: jimynick on December 31, 2018, 01:34:05 PM
Zuke, if you put your fingers under the nose of the water pump out near where the pulley goes on you should feel a small 3-5mm hole. If the seal is leaking, that's where the fluid will come out and it usually runs along under the nose of the pump until it hits something vertical and then drips. One way or the other, you're into pulling the pump. I don't think I've ever seen a pump leak past the gasket where that didn't happen the same time you put it together and ran it. You can also grab the fan and wiggle it forwards and then backwards and there should be no movement of the pulley, so look closely. Bon chance!  :cheers:

Maybe I am a donkey but I don't find the little hole.  :notsure:
When I touch around the pump, I feel nothing wet. Yet there is a wet part under the car. When the engine is running, nothing flows even when taking turns. It's a crazy thing. By touch, what is on the ground is coolant. Apart from disassemble I do not see other solutions to solve the problem. I will also order the 3 seals, change them by sealing properly with silicone. I just hope the pump has nothing because it looks new

73_Cuda_4_Me

Hey @THE ZUKE  Here is the weep hole they are referring to... your pulley completely covers it, so you won't be able to feel it.

You could take a kleenex or paper towel and barely rub back side of pulley (with engine off, naturally) with it... if there is any seepage from the weep hole, the coolant will be on the back side of the pulley, and should show up on the paper towel.

For the puddle of coolant that builds up on the floor after you shut the engine off, are you SURE it's coming from the water pump? There are several bolts for the heads and pump housing that go into the water jacket of the engine, and if sealant wasn't put on those bolt threads, they could weep, especially when engine is hot and shut off... the coolant inside engine block starts almost boiling because pump stops circulating around very hot block components, raising the cooling system pressure above normal.

I've had radiator hose weep, even though clamps are tight, and heater hoses to block can also leak. I don't know if you have an overflow tank on the radiator, but my 340 does not, and when I shut engine off after topping radiator up and taking a spin, I'll get coolant coming out of the drain hose that comes off the radiator cap housing and runs down along the side of the radiator, making a puddle right below front passenger side of block...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

THE ZUKE

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on January 01, 2019, 06:55:34 AM
Hey @THE ZUKE  Here is the weep hole they are referring to... your pulley completely covers it, so you won't be able to feel it.

You could take a kleenex or paper towel and barely rub back side of pulley (with engine off, naturally) with it... if there is any seepage from the weep hole, the coolant will be on the back side of the pulley, and should show up on the paper towel.

For the puddle of coolant that builds up on the floor after you shut the engine off, are you SURE it's coming from the water pump? There are several bolts for the heads and pump housing that go into the water jacket of the engine, and if sealant wasn't put on those bolt threads, they could weep, especially when engine is hot and shut off... the coolant inside engine block starts almost boiling because pump stops circulating around very hot block components, raising the cooling system pressure above normal.

I've had radiator hose weep, even though clamps are tight, and heater hoses to block can also leak. I don't know if you have an overflow tank on the radiator, but my 340 does not, and when I shut engine off after topping radiator up and taking a spin, I'll get coolant coming out of the drain hose that comes off the radiator cap housing and runs down along the side of the radiator, making a puddle right below front passenger side of block...

Ok, I understand why I did not find the hole. Yes on my 440, there is a coolant recovery (A picture). My problem is that I discover little by little without knowing the basis of this engine. I just checked the coolant height above the radiator elements. There is about 50mm / 2 inches. I have always heard that it takes maximum 10mm / 0.4 inch. Could the problem come from this? Which would explain why there is water under the car only when I really drove with her and made her take turns. I do not know and I don't see where it flows.

jimynick

Sorry, I thought you had a small block. The advice to check using a paper towel sounds pretty good to me.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"