Main Menu

A833 4 speed shift feel improvements?

Started by FSHTAIL, June 15, 2017, 12:46:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

My 73 Cuda 340 4 speed is great but it's getting to be a pain in the ass to shift. 

No grinds or pop outs in the trans. 
Just having a hard time from a stop getting it into second at times. 

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Shane Kelley

From what you described it's hard to tell if you have a shifter mechanism issue or synchronizer issue in the trans. Worn shifters usually have issues trying to find 3rd. I can't say for sure but your issue may be in the transmission. First thing to do is make sure your linkage is properly adjusted from the shifter to the transmission.

anlauto

Send the shifter back to Hurst for a rebuild.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

I was thinking it might just be 1-2 shift linkage rod out of adjustment. What I have usually seen with worn shifters is trouble finding the right gear and just pain sloppy feeling. I would definitely make sure your linkage is adjusted properly first. 

Put it in neutral. Slip a pin or drill bit that's the size of the hole in the side of the shifter. (see first pic) The pic shows a L shaped pin there. Once the pin is in place make sure all your shift rods fit properly. You shouldn't have to push or pull. They should slide right on the levers at this point. Then everything will be in a true neutral position. Second pic is what your set up should look like for reference.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shane Kelley on June 15, 2017, 05:58:00 AM
Second pic is what your set up should look like for reference.

Unless you have an OD trans, then the first lever is flipped so it is pointing down.  Ask me how I know....  :bricks:

soundcontrol

I think it will be OK when you grow up, get taller and stronger!  :D

(sorry, with that cool picture, couldn't resist...)

FSHTAIL

Lol.   

RUNCHARGER

I was thinking he was too short to push in the clutch! I regularly pull the shifters apart and lube everything. Also after you setup the rods the way the factory tells you to, put an extra full wrap in the 3-4 rod.
Sheldon

FSHTAIL

Extra full wrap?

RUNCHARGER

Yes, 1 full turn after it's set like factory. It makes it slide into 3rd like you wouldn't believe.
Sheldon

FSHTAIL

Oh.    One more complete turn?

jimynick

That turn- in or out? I'm guessing in?
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

1 Turn out or 1 turn longer if you like. That was a tip I read from Herb McCandless many years ago. I do it on everything now. It takes that notchy feel out and it just slides into 3rd like butter, doesn't affect anything else.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Sound advice unless you want to be challenged with the full rebuild kit like I did.

Not fun.

Quote from: anlauto on June 15, 2017, 03:56:13 AM
Send the shifter back to Hurst for a rebuild.  :alan2cents:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200