Main Menu

A833 4 speed transmission........dummy

Started by Cudalbs, March 28, 2017, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudalbs

I've had my car together and driving for almost 2 years now. I was out driving around the other day and shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd gear seemed to get a little tougher as the drive went on. The tranny was not rebuilt when it was put back in the car and I don't know the history of it before I got it in 1998. I also know very little about transmissions so I'm not sure if it is going bad .......their is no grinding or anything, it is just very hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear. It was shifting fine before and nothing has been done to any of the linkage.......which was all new when reinstalled in he car. Thanks for any advice and I will try to answer any questions you might need answered to figure this out.
Thanks again, Mike
"Love those round taillight cars"

Cuda Cody

If it's just one or two gears then it's not likely a worn out clutch.  Maybe check the shift linkage adjustment?   :notsure:  It might have just worked it's way loose a bit and needs to be readjusted?

These might help some Page 684:

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Service_Manuals/1970_Dodge_Challenger_Manual.pdf

Page 13:

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Master_Technician_Service_Conference/70-2_steering_columns_shift_linkage.pdf

RUNCHARGER

I also would guess your shifter linkage is loose, You've really got to crank down on everything so it doesn't loosen up.
Sheldon

Cudalbs

Woooo Whooooo.......you 2 were absolutely correct. Put it up on jack stands today and got under there to find all 3 of the nuts were loose on the tranny. Tightened them all up and took a drive.......shifted like a dream, and saved me a chunk of money because I though it was going to be something more serious then a few loose nuts. Thank you guys for the help.

Mike
"Love those round taillight cars"

Cuda Cody

That's terrific.   :bradsthumb:

Quote from: Cudalbs on March 29, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
Woooo Whooooo.......you 2 were absolutely correct. Put it up on jack stands today and got under there to find all 3 of the nuts were loose on the tranny. Tightened them all up and took a drive.......shifted like a dream, and saved me a chunk of money because I though it was going to be something more serious then a few loose nuts. Thank you guys for the help.

Mike

RUNCHARGER

I should have mentioned I blue loctite them as well. You'll know what to do if they come loose again though.
Sheldon