Main Menu

A833 big block transmission to smallblock bellhousing?

Started by Shoooter, April 21, 2019, 09:42:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I might have made a mistake.  I just rebuilt my big block A833 transmission,  it is a big block one. I was under the assumption I just needed a smaller bearing retainer housing to make it work in the small block bellhouseing. But the smallblock retainer one doesnt line up with the bolt pattern on the tranny or fit over the bearing. What are my options here? Bellhousing is smallblock 1971 transmission is 1970 big block

anlauto

So, you would need a small block bell housing with the larger bearing retainer hole ??

How big is the bearing retainer ? The next size hole up for a small block housing would be a 5 1/4" for an overdrive transmission. Your bearing retainer is likely only around 4 3/4"  :dunno: Maybe there's an adaptor available ?

I think a call to Brewers is in need @Dan Brewer ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

The larger retainer is 4 3/4" that one came with the transmission. Bolt holes line up. The small block one is 4 3/8"  bolt holes on transmission dont line up. The hole in the small block bellhousing is 4 3/8"

anlauto

Can you take your bell housing to a machine shop and have the hole made larger ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

I might have to, was looking for another alternative first

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2019, 10:51:42 AM
Can you take your bell housing to a machine shop and have the hole made larger ?

I had to do this once...Once.

Chryco Psycho

The trans uses the 308 front brg the bellhousing with the 4.35 hole is for trans using the smaller 307 front brg so the smaller retainer will not fit , so you can either machine the bellhousing out to 4.8 or find another bellhousing with the larger hole , it is also possible to use the OD belhousing on any small block & use the 5.125 front brg retainer which will bolt onto the trans you have with the 308 front brg

Shoooter

I might be able to get a overdrive one from a friend . Who sells the retainer ring to adapt to it?

Chryco Psycho

You might find a used one fairly easily taken from an OD to fit a normal 4.80 bellhousing

Shoooter

@Chryco Psycho I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying some overdrive bellhousings have the 4.80 and will fit the big block retainer or the over drive ones can be found cheap and machined out to fit

Chryco Psycho

All of the OD bellhousings are 5.125 diameter so you need the larger retainer or a spacer ring

Shoooter

I can only find the retainer ring for the small block to the OD one in the link. Is there one from the 4.8 to the 5.125? That's the one I need as mine is BB. Maybe there out of stock

Chryco Psycho

Brewers might have a 5.125 retainer available , I Know I have some but they are 6000 miles from me

Dan Brewer

Changing to the OD 859 bellhousing will require a different fork pivot bracket inside, the 507 OD bellhousing will only work with the long ball pivot fork.

My suggestion is to machine the bellhousing to fit the larger 4.805" retainer. 
For all your A833 4-speed needs: 
www.brewersperformance.com