Main Menu

A833 rookie - help appreciated

Started by Blake@diyhemi.com, February 05, 2020, 10:42:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

So I must admit. I am quite the novice with new process or A833 transmissions.

I'm running into a bit of a problem here and would really like some insight if possible.

I recently installed a refreshed 4 speed into my cuda. The problem is, Shifting into a gear other than reverse.

Admittingly, I cannot crank up the car because I am wrapping up the fuel system, so she doesn't run at the moment. I read somewhere that it probably will not shift into most gears of the engine isnt running because of the gear set design? Is that accurate? I've built 6 speed T56's but not a full A833.

I followed the factory shift linkage procedure, and have made sure I could move the shift levers by hand into all gears prior to the shifter install. Could this be a shifter issue? It looks pretty grimy and is the less desirable 1970 detent style shifter. I also noticed wear on the separation plates in the shifter. The reverse separation plate especially looked as though a positioning tooth was damaged.

Does this sound reasonable? I also have access to a 71-74 hurst competition plus shifter for testing purposes. I guess I could try that out if all else fails. My only gripe is it has a vintage T shifter on it and not the pistol grip. I know I know, first world problems...
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

dodj

Mine shifts into all gears. Reverse being the most difficult. Original guts from 1970.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

If  it is the shifter binding, Hurst has a rebuilding service. You could send it out for a complete makeover.  :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Try turning the crank on the engine a little and see if that doesn't help. Don't force the shifter or you may bend a shift fork. Mine can be tough with some gears when the engine is not running. Something to due with where the syncro's and gears are sitting.  :alan2cents:

Blake@diyhemi.com

With the car up on the lift, if the shift rods are taken off, I can grab each lever and shift into each gear no problem.

When I get in the car and grab the shifter, I can not get it to move out of neutral most of the time. Once in a while I can get it into reverse.
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

JonH

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on February 06, 2020, 11:23:06 AM
With the car up on the lift, if the shift rods are taken off, I can grab each lever and shift into each gear no problem.

When I get in the car and grab the shifter, I can not get it to move out of neutral most of the time. Once in a while I can get it into reverse.

Seems you answered your own question...I would start with the shifter

dodj

:iagree: with jonh, I think you located the problem. Either the rods are not adjusted right or the shifter is just a little too worn out.
Try re-adjusting the linkage again with the pin in the shifter and set the rod length again. If it makes no difference I think a shifter rebuild or replacement is in order.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rich G.

Do you have the rods on the right way? Are you using the alignment pin in the shifter?

Blake@diyhemi.com

Problem solved fellas!

I bolted in a different shifter, same alignment procedure and she is smooth shifting!

Funny how the 1970 shifter wasn't sticking, but all alignment levers would move independently of one another and cause binding.

The 1971-74 competition plus was in much better shape and cured my issues.

Thanks for all the reassurance and recommendations guys!
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Fastmark

Use the new repop pistol grip on the bolt on Comp Plus shifter and you will be lots happier than the oem push in. That's what's in my AAR. 👍

JS29

:cool: Glat you isolated the problem.  :yes:

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: Fastmark on February 07, 2020, 06:54:20 AM
Use the new repop pistol grip on the bolt on Comp Plus shifter and you will be lots happier than the oem push in. That's what's in my AAR. 👍

Hey Mark! How ya been buddy?!

The 70 shifter I installed in the car I bought from you. I was going to go 1970 correct just because I had the 70 pistol grip handy. The comp plus was the one in the car when I bought it from you. I remembered it working great before hand. I'm such an idiot sometimes haha.

I put my fresh A833 in the car and the 70 shifter with brand new shift levers and rods from brewers. That 70 shifter I had was just no good. I blame it on the lure of the pistol grip handle!! That's my defense, your honor!

I love the car, for sure the most exciting car I've ever owned. I cannot wait to get it back on the road and search for her other parts. I thought it would be a lot of fun to take my boys on a Texas road trip, hunting down leads and enjoying the bonding time.

God bless you buddy!
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com