Main Menu

advice on storing an original 318

Started by G30, January 04, 2023, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

G30

20 years ago or so my original #s 318 was removed from my 70 Gran Coupe 'vert and replaced with a 360. The 318 was "tired" so I decided not to try having it rebuilt, and it's been sitting on a dolly, loosely wrapped, in the garage ever since.  I worry it could be ruined if it hadn't been properly prepared first?  Any advice on how to properly prepare an engine for long-term storage like this? Should I have someone rebuild it first? - G30

blown motor

If you never plan on using the engine then why would you cough up the coin to rebuild it? Store the engine in such a way that it won't deteriorate and let the next owner worry about the rebuild.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

G30

that's the advice I'm seeking - what is the proper way to prepare it for storing? 

tparker

I don't think there is a lot you can do. You "might" want to remove the oil. Not sure how it holds up after a couple decades, but it won't do any damage. I found out the hard way that gas doesn't hold up. Apparently it turns to a varnish like material.lol. Probably the best thing is to keep it away from moister. I would probably take the spark plugs out. Most shops leave motors wrapped in plastic for years, and really the only difference is they don't have fuel and oil.

Just some thoughts.

MoparLeo

Drain the fluids, remove the plugs and squirt some Mystery oil or similar in the chambers. Remove rocker shaft ( this will take the tension off of the valve springs and keep the combustion chambers sealed from anything outside ).carb, tape off or plugs all openings. Place in a heavy duty ( At least 6 mil bag ) seal and tuck away from moisture, dirt. Write on the outside of the plastic bag with a magic marker anything that you may need to know in the future about what you did when you put it away.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

BIGSHCLUNK

Tranny fluid...  used tranny fluid. Keeps the rings loose, puts a nice film on everything. BIGS been using that method for 40 years

G30

Thanks all, very helpful responses.