Main Menu

Aftermarket Air Cleaners and Factory Pie Tins

Started by Odin, December 08, 2019, 02:27:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

Which air cleaner assemblies (besides the originals) work well on RB engines with Eddy RPM Air Gap intakes, have good airflow, and still fit the factory pie tins?
Which drop base plates work well with the RPM Air gap and Holley carbs?

My 440 had a 13" air cleaner with an exposed element and factory pie tin on top when I bought the car a couple years ago.  I recently rebuilt the engine adding an Eddy RPM Air Gap intake, which is higher than the old intake.  It has a Holley carb on top.  I don't think I am going to have enough clearance under the hood to add the 13" air cleaner back on top and the filter is already pretty small in height.  I'd like to go with a 14" element and a drop base to keep the air flow as high as possible.  What are your ideas?

cudabob496

what I would do is take all kinds of measurements, to see what will fit. On my 72 Cuda,
there was a bracket right above the air cleaner that gave me more room, so I removed it.
check out whats available at ramairbox.com
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

303 Mopar

Odin

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 11, 2019, 07:09:29 AM
I'm running the Mancini drop base, nice quality piece - https://www.manciniracing.com/mara13aircld.html

I see the Mancini drop base is for a 13" filter.  That would fit my current lid and I could still use my 440 pie tin.  Are you using on top of a Holley with electric choke?

303 Mopar

Quote from: Odin on December 11, 2019, 07:27:26 AM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 11, 2019, 07:09:29 AM
I'm running the Mancini drop base, nice quality piece - https://www.manciniracing.com/mara13aircld.html

I see the Mancini drop base is for a 13" filter.  That would fit my current lid and I could still use my 440 pie tin.  Are you using on top of a Holley with electric choke?

I used it on a Proform with choke, basically the same as a Holley.

Shane Kelley

This is a Mancini drop base set up with that intake on a 383 and in a A body and it clears with 3/4" to spare.

Odin

The Mancini Racing 13" drop base fit perfectly over my Holley and still had almost an inch to spare under the hood.  Thanks for the help and advice.  Of course I forgot to take pics