Main Menu

Air cleaner to hood clearance

Started by dave73, April 06, 2017, 06:01:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

So I'm having some hood clearance issues, currently all I can fit is a 2" high filter element and there are minimal available. I have a r/t hood, 440 with Holley sd intake, Holley 4150 carb. I couldn't find a drop base air cleaner to clear the Holley carb so maybe the fact that I'm running a non drop base is my issue? Can anyone recommend an air cleaner that will clear this carb?

1 Wild R/T

Hate to say it but the Chevy L88 reproduction was designed to fit a dual feed holley & drops the filter 1.625"....

Burdar

What is it about that carb where a drop base won't fit? Summit has bases with notches in them that they say are to clear a Holley.

RUNCHARGER

That must be a high air cleaner you have. That SD is quite a low intake.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Most A/C have dimples in the base to clear any  Holley type carb if you rotate it around , should be able to get a 3" element in there 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 06, 2017, 07:28:09 PM
That must be a high air cleaner you have. That SD is quite a low intake.

I agree, It amazes me how many people either have clearance issues or think they have clearance issues, I've run a 440 with the Oval single 4 bbl air cleaner off a Coronet R/T, I've run a Sixpack, I've run a 383 with a Performer RPM & a stock dual snorkel air cleaner.... The SD is a pretty short intake,

303 Mopar

Mancini Racing has a 13" drop base too, and they sell just the base so you don't have to by the whole thing again. 

Claudia

I feel your pain.  I just went through this with my '71 Cuda :pullinghair: 
I have a 440, MP Wedge intake, Holley carb, MP air cleaner with the raisin bran hood. 
I ended up buying the Mancini Racing drop base only and I was able to keep everything including the stock air filter element with the MP air cleaner lid.

HP_Cuda

This might help:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/base-style/dropped/air-cleaner-size/14-in-diameter?N=4294949532%2B4294949554%2B4294949603&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending

I went with the K&N X-treme route since it gave me the drop and the lowest height from carb flange up.

I went with the M1 intake which is I think the tallest intake besides the hi-risers out there. She does sing on the top end! :burnout:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho