Main Menu

valley pan intake gaskets

Started by GoMangoBoys, February 16, 2022, 08:30:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I bought a valley pan.  It came with 2 felt intake gaskets per head.  I saw a youtube video where the guy used the metal valley pan with RTV as the gasket and did not use the felt gaskets.  The valley pan came with 2 gaskets per side.  Seems like I really should use them.  This is my first Mopar build, so I have no experience with this.  What do you guys do?

RacerX

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on February 16, 2022, 08:30:35 PM
I bought a valley pan.  It came with 2 felt intake gaskets per head.  I saw a youtube video where the guy used the metal valley pan with RTV as the gasket and did not use the felt gaskets.  The valley pan came with 2 gaskets per side.  Seems like I really should use them.  This is my first Mopar build, so I have no experience with this.  What do you guys do?

I've never used any additional gaskets with the metal valley pans...   all the ones I have ever installed came with a
small tube of some blue liquid to spread around the intake ports and that was it.   A dab of RTV in the corners and
off you go...

Chryco Psycho

2 things
I use the FelPro 1215 as it blocks the heat cross over port , which is not needed unless you drive in very cold weather .
I always use the paper gaskets between the pan & the heads to keep oil from being pulled from the lifter valley .

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on February 16, 2022, 08:30:35 PM

Like ported vs. manifold vacuum, this is one of those questions that is debated endlessly on the forums.  Seems like every big block Mopar guy out there has their own special method for sealing the intake.  Most of them probably work.  My advice is don't overthink it. :alan2cents:

If you go the paper gasket route, you may want to dry fit everything first before gluing anything in place.  The last time I did this, I couldn't get my bolt holes to line up correctly when trying to use both paper gaskets on each side.  Can't remember if I just went without any paper gaskets or just used one on each side :thinking:, but it worked.

MOPAR MITCH

The purpose of the fiber side gaskets (2-per side, 4-pieces total) is to accommodate waviness (out-of-flat, non parallelism) of aluminum intakes... this was the original factory concern with their aluminum six-pack manifolds.  This began from Ma-Mopar with the factory aluminum six-pack manifolds from the 1969 specific 440-6 models (not the 1970-71 cast iron six-packs).

However, it's not a bad thing to install these "supplementary" side rail gaskets (as they are technically called) with any metal valley pan for our BB engines.

I'm a former gasket applications engineer from a major company... I am well aware of the original history and common questions.

Filthy Filbert

I'm hardly a statistically significant sample size, but I've put together 4 big blocks, and each time I've used 1 gasket between pan and intake, and RTV between pan and head.   never had an issue with oil fouled plugs or vacuum leaks.

Mr Lee

I would add that whatever sealant you use, make sure it's rated for fuel and oil.  Read the labels.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

dodj

Quote from: Mr Lee on February 18, 2022, 03:24:47 PM
I would add that whatever sealant you use, make sure it's rated for fuel and oil.  Read the labels.
:iagree:
Fuel dissolves regular RTV so I'd stay away from that.
I do it as CP suggests. Fel-pro gaskets with cross over blocked.
In order to not have issues aligning bolt holes with the double gaskets I used a product from permatex. Some kind of adhesive that made the gasket slightly tacky. Can't remember the name but you sprayed the gasket and placed it on the head. It would stick to the head. Do the same with the gaskets on the other side of the valley pan. That way everything stayed in place while lowering the intake on top of the gasket/valley pan sandwich.
I also put a dab of fuel rated sealant on the intake bolts to prevent oil 'wicking' up the threads and pooling on the valley pan.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Yes: All of the above. honestly I've used the paper gaskets and not used them and I've never had a leak either way (iron manifolds and aluminum manifolds). Only problem I've ever had was not putting a dab of sealer on the corners and found out they leaked oil there if you don't do that (first install in 1975).
Sheldon