Main Menu

Aluminum case OD A833 for E body?

Started by gzig5, October 18, 2018, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I've never been accused of being smart.   :ohyeah:
A Passion or other aftermarket 5/6 speed isn't going to happen for a LONG time because of budget. If I can make a relatively cheap OD transmission work it is worth the effort for me.  I can grow into something better when the time comes.  I like working on the car so doing stuff iteratively isn't an issue.  Maybe I won't like shifting (unlikely).

From additional reading it looks like the 75-85 trucks used the B/E tailshaft housing so it should be a direct drop in, add shifter, tunnel mod, pedals, etc.. and then  :burnout: ??

Chryco Psycho

Yes they shift 1-2-4-3 but you invert the 3-4 lever so it shifts normally inside the car , this requires a minor bend in the linkage to work properly , I always machined the front brg retainer down to 4.80 so it will fit a regular belhousing again no big deal , this is a slick conversion , I have done many of them , I used to find them in the wreckers all the time , the trans was Never the reason they were inthe wreckers , Most were in excellent condition internally .
I can help you with any info you need , you already know what they are like if you had a Volare with one .

YellowThumper

At the end of the day if you get it for low cost it will be worth it. If it works for you as intended it is good. If you decide it is not for you long term. It becomes your stopgap trans. You still have overdrive feature. Use it until another more suited one can be had. Swap in the new one. Sell this and at minimum you are cost neutral.  It is still a win. I expect this scenario is why you see them still available for reasonable prices.

My2c
Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Yes it is a direct bolt in , the truck & van use the long tailshaft with dual shift mount , the same mount & crossmember is used , as I said you will have to drill & tap the shift mount holes & bend the 3-4 shift rod to clear the crossmember .
You can use a hyd release brg instead of the linkage , belhousing has to have the 4.80 opening for the retainer , the same shifter & rods cam be used , you may need a different set of shift levers , I had 50 + to choose from to make it work .
I have completed approx 20+ of these conversions for customers , only 1 had me swap back to the original trans , I had one in my 440 Duster for 10 years , it pulled the front wheels on every pass at the drag strip ran mid 11s , I used 3 gears down the track to run 118 mph with a 4:30 diff & drove home in OD on the highway , I blew up 6- 8 3/4 center sections but never hurt the trans ... weak HUH  :thinking:
I also had one in my Charger with 2.76 gears , it would idle at 75 MPH on the highway , top end was over 250 MPH  :yes:

gzig5

Well I took the jump.  I've been looking for parts to collect for a future swap.  The $4000 quote from Brewer gives me a target to beat.  I had found a bell housing and pressure plate on CL down in Illinois.  When I asked him to measure the bearing retainer it is 5.1" and I expressed dismay that was the big diameter for the late OD trans and I'd need a ring to take up difference, blah, blah.  Turns out he had the matching OD trans (supposedly good) which has the B/E tail and had been in a B-body, as well as all the other stuff that isn't attached to the car.  He changed directions on his build and I got the whole kit for $400.  Flywheel, clutch assy, throwout bearing, fork, aluminum SB bell housing, and the transmission.  Everything looks to be in good condition.   :takemymoney:

I think I did OK and even if the trans has issues, I don't think there is rocket science involved in rebuilding these.  I'll look into doing the case modification because I have a mill and lathe at home so I can do it.  I'll still keep my eye out for a standard A833 while I try to gather the rest of the "stuff" required.  I'm sure I'll have some questions for you, especially regarding shift rods, z-bars, etc.

What are my options for sourcing a shifter?  Will one from a truck/van or A/F body work?

edison1970

One thing to possibly consider while you are working on that trans is to check that the input shaft bearing isn't spinning in the aluminum case. It was a common problem. Easy fix even if it isn't spinning yet, I would address it now. All you have to do is put a set screw in the front bearing retainer that pushes against the bearing. There is a write up on it in one of my older molar magazines.

RUNCHARGER

You did well on the buy. That way if it doesn't work out for you at least you have the clutch, flywheel, tailhousing etc. So no risk as I see it. Good idea to bush it before trying it.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

Keep us posted on your build.  :lurking:

Chryco Psycho

Congrats on the buy you did well , let me know if you need help with the swap , Glad to help out