Main Menu

Aluminum intake cleaner recommendations

Started by nsmall, July 31, 2017, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I know I ask a lot of questions but I feel at home here. Thank you everyone.

I have an elderbrock intake and some other aluminum pieces on my engine.... question.... What's something you guys could recommend for cleaning it as there is little bit of oil and grime and I'd like to keep up on it.

I'm just thinking long-term and I don't like the look of a dirty engine.  I do like the look of natural aluminum.

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Talk to a welding shop , my friend gave me some cleaners they use prewelding & even diluted it cleaned better than anything I have seen

anlauto

Or have it glass beaded ? Best long term option is to powder coat it an aluminum colour.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

If it's on the car and just want to clean it up a bit I've used brakleen

Daveh

I know this is going to sound funny but I had the same issue a couple of years ago and someone said to try Eagle One aluminum wheel cleaner.  It worked amazing I did it with the intake on the car.  I had discoloration from antifreeze sitting on there over the years and your typical grime.  I was hesitant at first but I figured if it didn't work then I would just use it on my wheels what's the harm?  It lifted everything right off and even took away the discolored stains.  I hope this helps.  Good luck

Burdar

QuoteOr have it glass beaded ?
You don't want to glass bead aluminum.  The beads get lodged in the pores.  When the intake heats up, the beads fall out into the engine.

QuoteI know this is going to sound funny but I had the same issue a couple of years ago and someone said to try Eagle One aluminum wheel cleaner.
This is exactly what I was going to recommend.  Someone on Moparts tested a few different products/methods of cleaning up an old aluminum carb top.  The wheel cleaner produced an almost original appearance.

I've read that dry ice blasting is what all the top restorers use to clean up bare aluminum Chevy intakes that were bare from the factory.

RUNCHARGER

That's what I have done. Aluminum wheel cleaner then paint/ powdercoat.
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

Aircraft paint stripper works really good also. Be careful using wheel cleaners. They do a good job sometimes but if you leave it on to long it will discolor the aluminum. :alan2cents:

61K T/A

Will the wheel cleaner damage the paint or remove the gloss say on the timing chain cover or block?

Burdar

Possibly.  I think the best way to do it is with the intake off.  If you are just doing some cleanup(intake isn't really that bad) you could apply it with a tooth brush.  Do some scrubbing and then rinse it off right away.  You wouldn't get any on the painted surfaces that way.

If you have some of the paint you used, do a spray out on a scrap piece.  Then spray it with the wheel cleaner and see what happens.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 61K T/A on August 01, 2017, 08:08:45 AM
Will the wheel cleaner damage the paint or remove the gloss say on the timing chain cover or block?
Depends on how good the paint is. If it's rattle can. More than likely it will dull and spot the finish. A good base/clear will probably be fine. Just make sure the surface is cool.

HP_Cuda

I think Alan was talking about a different direction of power coating like this.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on August 01, 2017, 07:32:22 AM
QuoteOr have it glass beaded ?
You don't want to glass bead aluminum.  The beads get lodged in the pores.  When the intake heats up, the beads fall out into the engine.

I've never heard that before, thank you for the tip. I don't work with aluminum intakes all that often and I can't remember that last time I ever left one natural  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I just put it on a rag and it almost immediately cleaned right up.  I would be careful on the painted surfaces though.

nsmall

Thanks for the advice.  Mine is natural and newer.  The dirt and grime is so minimal at this point.  But I do want to keep up on it.