Main Menu

ANOTHER GASKET QUESTION..... Slow motion......

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, June 19, 2018, 02:37:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

It looks like the road I'm going down is getting longer. But I'm already in over my azz....   Seeing HEMI's are chronic for intake leaks....

1 Is there one gasket preferred over another?

2 Is a little chemical help recommened ? (RTV, Copper spray)

3 Bolt set replacement? There's washers on mine that look "hardware store" to me

4 Preferred Torque method?

Asking for a freind  :rofl:

Cuda Cody

426 Hemi intake and torque specs... (click to enlarge)

Chryco Psycho

Glad to see you are going to tackle this my FRIEND
Don't use Edelbrock Tq specs LOL
I don't have a best suggestion for intake gasket but someone will
snug everything & torque from the middle out in circles
use antisieze on the bolts , never use stainless bolts
:alan2cents:

Brads70

How long are the intake bolts? I ask as I was wondering if long set screws could be used for studs. Might help with the breaking the bolt issues?  :notsure:

1 Wild R/T

First a question... Are you sure your oil leak was the valve cover?  Cause there's a known issue with Hemi head gaskets which leads to both coolant leaks (common) & oil leaks (less common)...

If your digging in I'd rather have you fix everything once....

Next, intake gaskets, I'm sure Cometic & Superformance both offer good parts but honestly I've had success with Felpro but in spite of the manufacturers claims of not needing sealant I use sealant... Same sealant I use on most intake gaskets...

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Liquid-Gasket-1184A100G/dp/B007TWXI1K

Use it once & you'll be using it from then on....   JMO..

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 19, 2018, 03:38:56 PM
First a question... Are you sure your oil leak was the valve cover?  Cause there's a known issue with Hemi head gaskets which leads to both coolant leaks (common) & oil leaks (less common)...

O ya... I could see the oil.... on BOTH banks

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 19, 2018, 02:48:23 PM
426 Hemi intake and torque specs... (click to enlarge)

I dont think I have any studs at all - all bolts  :notsure:

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 19, 2018, 02:49:55 PM
Glad to see you are going to tackle this my FRIEND

snug everything & torque from the middle out in circles
use antisieze on the bolts , never use stainless bolts

Ya Neil I'm in so deep now I gotta do it.

Now in Cody's instuctions it says use BLUE threadlocker..... or am I confusing something.  :rubeyes:

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Brads70 on June 19, 2018, 02:50:18 PM
How long are the intake bolts? I ask as I was wondering if long set screws could be used for studs. Might help with the breaking the bolt issues?  :notsure:

Brad if I start breaking bolts Neil's coming to Wisconsin....  :Thud:

Chryco Psycho

Been a while since I was in Wisconsin .
I wonder if Jane is still living there ??

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 19, 2018, 02:49:55 PM
never use stainless bolts
What is wrong with using ARP bolts? They are stainless.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Stainless have less strength than grade 5 or 8 bolts , there is also an interaction between stainless & high nickle iron where the threads will gall up & bind up , causing the bolts to shear

RUNCHARGER

I just use felpros and have never had a problem. I used whatever Indy sells last time though and they were really good, sorry can't remember the brand name. Carefully inspect things when you pull the intake. You will see oil in the offending ports but make sure you check where it is coming from. If it is coming from the studs screwed into the bottom of the intake ports you will have more work to do to make it right.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 19, 2018, 09:47:37 PM
If it is coming from the studs screwed into the bottom of the intake ports you will have more work to do to make it right.

Hope NOT  :headbang:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Hopefully not, however you need it fixed no matter what. I put them together for about 20 years without worrying about the studs without an issue though. When I discovered it could be an issue then I sealed them all the time, so I am hoping you'll be fine. I miss being in my 20's and not knowing you had to worry about all this stuff!
Sheldon