Main Menu

Antifreeze question

Started by blown motor, October 16, 2019, 07:13:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

How often do you change the antifreeze in your classic car? It would take many years for it to reach the recommended change interval based on mileage. Do you change it anyways base on time interval?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

I change the hoses and antifreeze every 5 years.
Sheldon

anlauto

It's one of those things that won't hurt ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

1 option is Evans waterless coolant

chargerdon

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 16, 2019, 07:55:21 AM
1 option is Evans waterless coolant

At $29 half gallon, and cooling system needing around 16-18 qts (or more with higher capacity radiator) this option will cost you around $224.   Probably worth it to save on corrosion...  but... heaven forbid if you spring a leak.   Hmmm  for about $20 ill drain and replace the antifreeze with fresh anti-corrosion additives every 2-3 years.   

cudabob496

A great way to prevent engine corrosion is to put a boat zinc, about 2 inch by 3/8 inches round in your
water pump housing. I replace it annually, and it corrodes, so that your other engine components will
not corrode.  If your engine does not see extreme cold, use 25% antifreeze instead of 50%, because it
will cool better.  Also, Purple Ice gives extra corrosion protection.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

jt4406

Quoteprevent engine corrosion is to put a boat zinc

Where does one get these ?
TIA, jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Brads70

Quote from: jt4406 on October 27, 2019, 03:38:36 AM
Quoteprevent engine corrosion is to put a boat zinc

Where does one get these ?
TIA, jess

google "marine parts supplies Kentucky " should get you started in finding something locally. 

YellowThumper

Just posted this on another thread.
Use it in mine with aluminum radiators. With extended sitting there is no sign of corrosion inside. Several years now into its use. Prestone would show signs of corrosion immediately.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

chargerdon

Quote from: cudabob496 on October 26, 2019, 11:34:58 PM
  If your engine does not see extreme cold, use 25% antifreeze instead of 50%, because it
will cool better. 

Is this true?   I live in North Carolina so i don't truly need the low temp protection, but, i thought that a 50/50 mix was needed to help prevent corrosion and for cooling.    In about 3 weeks, ill be driving the car in the annual Christmas parade... thats about 3 miles or 45 plus minutes of of 2-3 mph driving..   If its a hot day and 70+ is not unusual then overheating is a real possibility.   

Will 25 % mix handle this situation better ?  For real ?

cudabob496

Yes, true, in fact, just water is the best, but you have no corrosion protection and boilover protection.

Jay Bee

I'm not doubting that cudabob496 knows his stuff, but I couldn't resist doing some research and found the following...

The manufacturer's recommendation:

The standard recommendation is to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. This represents a compromise between cooling efficiency and the ability to prevent the mix from freezing during cold weather. After all, the initial purpose of antifreeze is to prevent freezing.

But a 50/50 mix does not give the best cooling. For improved cooling in hot weather, we should use less antifreeze and more water, perhaps going to a 25/75 or a 20/80 mix ratio.

Everyone knows antifreeze prevents corrosion, and corrosion is bad. True enough. But, even a 10/90 ratio of antifreeze to water will serve the puproses of inhibiting corrosion, at least according to one source of information.

http://www.challengers101.com/CoolantMix.html

chargerdon

Well then for the parade, ill drain the radiator which currently has a 50/50 mixture, (and save the coolant as its only about 2 months old), and refill with water.  That should give me about a 20/80 mix recognizing the block still has the 50/50 mix.   Then after the parade, drain it again, and put back in the coolant.   

Two years ago, in 81 degree weather, driving in the parade and watching the temp gauge go to near end of the gauge was no fun.   I turned the heater on to try to help it out.  But driving with the heater at full on in 80+ degree weather was no fun for us in the car.   It didn't boil over, but, by the end of the parade it was running rough.   Since then i put in a shroud which should help, and this year ill do the more water less antifreeze trick. 

Thanks guys...   i wonder just how much difference it will make.   

cudabob496

I run lower antifreeze, but add two bottles of purple ice as well, which give really good corrosion
portection.  Lower antifreeze provides better cooling, but I'm not sure how much. Couple of degrees
maybe, I don't know. Nothing beats an aluminum radiator.