Main Menu

Antifreeze recommendations

Started by Hood, May 23, 2024, 03:14:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Hood

I'm overdue for a coolant change.  Prestone, Peak...any brand better than the other? Does the color matter?

I've used Prestone in the past (green color) but products are continually being upgraded. Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

Huskidrive

I use Peak Long Life. It's been in there 5 years.It's still as clean as when I put it in.NO cooling issues....1970 383 4 row copper brass radiator.....

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

moreparts

I'm getting ready to change the fluid to one of my cars too.  I'm going with a long life too.  5 year / 150k.

Dmod1974

Color doesn't matter since there is so much overlap of the same color with totally different formulas that it is meaningless now.  Case in point, traditional "green" is NOT good for more than 2 years, but the market is flooded with green(ish) long life universal coolants that are actually Dexcool derived formulas like the one above.  Peak, Prestone, and virtually all house brand universal coolants are Dexclones.

Assuming you are stockish with iron block, brass radiator, etc. the requirements won't be too picky.  TRUE green like John Deere or similar, the universal coolants, and HD diesel coolants will all work fine.

Dexcool got a bad rap when it came out decades ago, but that was because GM did a crappy job specing gasket materials and designing the cooling systems on those older engines.  Fastforward to today and there are probably millions of vehicles running out there with Dexcool derived coolant.  GM (Dexcool), Ford (Specialty Orange), some Euro OEM's, and anybody using universal coolants are actually running Dexcool and probably don't know it.

Some of the other newer chemistries may not be ideal since they are formulated for modern engines that are all or mostly aluminum with very little copper, brass, and iron in them.

Freeze protection doesn't change as coolant ages unless you dilute it with water, but the corrosion protection does deplete and it will become acidic.  It can look perfectly fine and still be eating away at your cooling system.  Don't wait until it looks like crap to change it.  There are several different test strips that you could use, or just change it at the recommended intervals - earlier won't hurt either.

moreparts

Quote from: Dmod1974 on May 27, 2024, 01:40:36 PMColor doesn't matter since there is so much overlap of the same color with totally different formulas that it is meaningless now.  Case in point, traditional "green" is NOT good for more than 2 years, but the market is flooded with green(ish) long life universal coolants that are actually Dexcool derived formulas like the one above. 

The one above is not an OAT coolant.  It's good ole fashioned IAT.

Hood

Quote from: moreparts on May 27, 2024, 11:34:41 AMI'm getting ready to change the fluid to one of my cars too.  I'm going with a long life too.  5 year / 150k.

Is that a 50/50 mix or concentrated?
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

chargerdon

Traditional wisdom calls for a 50/50 mix for your car and that provides protection to about -25 and lots of anti-corrosion.  However, if you live in a warmer climate like i do in eastern NC where the temperature rarely drops below +20 degrees you can use a much lower percentage to protect from freezing.   However, that means that you have less anti-corrosion protection.   

Simple fact is that plain water is about 30 percent better than a 50/50 mix for heat extraction.  So, with my 360/408  I use a 20/80 mix of antifreeze and water and then add in a bottle of Purple ICE anti-corrosion solution.  It definitely helps keep the system below 220F when driving in parades here in NC.   I

moreparts

Quote from: Hood on May 27, 2024, 09:00:27 PM
Quote from: moreparts on May 27, 2024, 11:34:41 AMI'm getting ready to change the fluid to one of my cars too.  I'm going with a long life too.  5 year / 150k.

Is that a 50/50 mix or concentrated?

They sell it both ways.  I bought the concentrate.  Why pay more for water?