Main Menu

Any ideas as to what my hp level will be?

Started by Radarlover, February 28, 2018, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Radarlover

I am in the process of buidling a 400 based 470 and was wondering if any of you guys know what kind of neighborhood of horsepower I might get from the engine.
3.91 440 source radiused crank
915 heads mild port 2.14/1.88 Manley ss valves, beehive springs, crane ductile iron 1.6 ratio rockers.
Icon forged pistons, 10:1 or slightly under that.
Mopar purple shaft 284/484 solid lift cam
HP exhaust manifolds or tti headers(not decided)
Stock style windage tray
Holley street dominator with 950 hp carb
MSD 6al ignition
Any ideas or experiences with similar builds are greatly appreciated!

RUNCHARGER

It really depends on the heads and the headers will make a difference. I will put it at around 450HP depending. Chrycho Psycho should have a better figure though.
Sheldon

nsmall

@Chryco Psycho you have been summoned. 

On a side note, is a 440 block an easier block to build for HP and cost wise vs a 400?

Cuda Cody

I'm not a great resource when it comes to mods as I like my stuff pretty tame and close to stock, but I would think you're going to need to move a lot of air to get that 950 to work well.  Headers would almost be a for sure item if you need to flow more and the intake / head flow is going to play a big part too.  If it's done right I think 450 HP is very doable. 

HP_Cuda

For the cam you chose I can tell you that you are very over carb'ed.

I'd say you are probably near the 425-435 hp range, fairly mild build.

As stated before, there is no replacement for displacement!  :yes:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

1 Wild R/T

Throw the cam in the scrap pile... And scrounge up more money for some aluminum heads.... I like 915's but with a 10-1 C/R & iron heads even if you get decent quench & you probably won't your gonna need to blend fuel....

FWIW a 470 with the right heads & cam can easily hit 600 hp... So lose the 915's & find a better cam...

And for nsmall's question "On a side note, is a 440 block an easier block to build for HP and cost wise vs a 400?"

No.. A 400 block is more rigid, the bottom end will stay together at higher HP levels & generally the 400 is a better platform for building power...

Chryco Psycho

Welcome @Radarlover  :wave:

Firstly the 284/484 is not a solid cam , it is a mild flat tappet hydraulic cam
I have to agree with above
First the cam is Far too small I typically use a solid 250* @ .050 / .570 lift custom grind on this type of build

the heads will work , the quench is mandatory , but mild porting won't work , I swirl port to the max with 470 ci under them if you are going to use them
A set of Good alum heads is a far better choice such as indy EZ or Better yet Trick Flow ported well would be my choice
the 470 CI in a 400 block is great , lower rotating mass with quick revs & good rod ratio using longer 6.7" rods .

I also agree with Wild , the 400 block especially the 230 casting is far stronger than the 440 .

Hp ratings are hard to pin down , there are 3 ways to get a HP number gross , running on a dyno with no accessories etc used until 71
net hp , more realistic used after 71 running water pumps & alt etc
Rear wheel hp , measured at the tires after all of the drivetrain losses
then add in what dyno
Mustang is the heart breaker , they read lower than any other rear wheel dyno but are extremely accurate & repeatable as well as being able to do cruise testing / constant load @ steady speed , this is the dyno I always used . they use elesctrical drag to measure
Other dynos like Dyno jet are a water dyno these can only measure acceleration not constant load & tend to read 15-20% higher than a Mustang .
SO I did a 440/512 ci with ported 915 heads & 950 Proform carb & got 398 hp & 460 ft lbs tq at the rear wheels on a mustang dyno / supercar status power , it held over 400 ft lbs of tq from 2300 rpm to 5300 RPM using an . so it did not matter what gear you were in just punch the throttle & it would pull like crazy anywhere in the power band
I also did a 400 / 451 with EZ heads & An 850 Proform  which was far more powerful but never got it onto the dyno sadly .

Cody one day I will build you a killer stroker & you will not look back , I know you love power / Vipers !!

Not sure how I missed this thread but ...

mopar jack

I don't know what HP that cam will make but I ran it for years in a 3460# barracuda 440-4 and 727 auto in the street brackets class. Car would run low 13's. The old Direct connection books listed there cams by performance and not HP. The cam you have would be P4120235. see attached.

Radarlover

4120659 is the cam kit and it is flat tappet. I'm sure I'll be running tti headers but I will also use the 915's. 284 is not a huge cam but the 1.6 ratio rockers will make it essentially larger right? I'm hoping for 500 with headers, 430 or so with exhaust manifolds. For what it's worth I'm probably going to run the holley sniper efi setup anyway. Wish I hadn't bought that big dp carb now.

Radarlover

Ph and thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all of them!

Radarlover