Main Menu

Anyone else using DynaTech's Mitymounts?

Started by GrandpaKevin, June 26, 2017, 10:10:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

This is the second vehicle I've used DynaTech's Mitymounts on and honestly I'm not real happy with them.

Both cars are 1971 R/T Challengers, both with 440's one 4 speed one automatic.

The first install was about 5 years ago with the 4 speed car, after getting everything installed the driver's side of the engine was sitting a little over 1/8" higher than the passenger's side, the suspension was level but it was quite obvious the engine was crooked especially with a wide Six Pack air cleaner installed.
I tried to move the engine around with the little adjustment available on the engine mount brackets but no luck. I finally shimmed up the passenger's side, thankfully I was using smaller 1 3/4" headers so nothing was rubbing.
I took the car for a test drive before installing the hood and I must say power shifting the 4 speed made the 440 move way more that wanted to see.
I ended up using an old school turnbuckle for peace of mind.

So thinking maybe the first car was tweaked and the lack of good Mopar motor mounts on the market I decided to try the DynaTechs again.
Guess what? the 440 automatic in the wife's 71 Challenger is sitting over 1/8" high on the driver's side again :steamingmad:
This time the bigger 1 7/8" tube headers are slightly hitting the inner fender on the passenger's side I think because the driver's side being a bit higher is tilting the engine and pushing it towards the passenger's side.  Again trying to adjust the engine brackets did nothing.
The mount doesn't seem to want to sit completely flat or straight on the K member tab, the passenger side seems to fit fine.
Shimming the passenger side up this time is just going to push the header more into the inner fender so I think I need to lower the driver's side of the engine as there is plenty of clearance on that side.

So out came the passenger side motor mount(thank goodness I have a car lift).
I'm going to try an custom made solid motor mount I had on my street/strip Challenger as is it appears to be about 1/8 shorter.....

So I'm 0 for 2 with the Mitymounts, anyone else had issues with them?
What other brand motor mounts are you guys using?

XeGnome

WFIW: I have used Anchor motor mounts in three different cars without issue.  They are no frills and as close to stock part as a re-pop can be...

Cuda Cody

I've not felt great about any of the china motor mounts (not sure where Mitymounts are made).  I'm almost out of good NOS mounts and @MoparDave  has sent me a few in the past that have worked (not sure the brand).  And not sure what ones he is recommending now?

303 Mopar

I have used Mancini's magmounts on 3 cars now, both small and big block and have had really good results every time.  The engines sit level, they old under 600+ tq and no vibrations like poly mounts.

http://www.manciniracing.com/benmaset.html

MoparDave

Mopar has discontinued the engine mounts. # 2536121. these were also made in Malaysia. The after market mount by Anchor # 2250 is readily available and relatively cheap at your local parts store. These are made from the same Manufacture as the OEM's where. We have had good luck with these and no failures that I know of. If these are not up to your standards. then you could go with the Schumacher Poly-Loc mounts at 20x the price . But I am not sure as these have been back ordered for quite some time now.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

HP_Cuda

I liked the peace of mind I got by buying locking mounts with 600+ hp.

Although I bought dynatech mounts but yep they lock. 
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GrandpaKevin

Well the thinner solid motor mount was the fix.

Centered the engine perfectly, got the header pipe off the inner fender on the passenger side but not too close to the steering shaft on the driver's side.

Unfortunately after buying and selling parts for over 35 years I don't have a clue where these solid mounts came from.
I'm not sure if they were custom built or mass produced, the perfect welding on them sure looks like it was done on a machine.

If the pictures load the taller Mitymount is on the left and the solid mount on the right.
I'm not sure if having the interlock inside makes the Mitytymount so much thicker but the longer stud on the Mitymount was also an issue as it hit the engine block.

The header pipe was previously resting on the inner fender, now it's got about 1/8" clearance which is still a little tight but moving it much more would push the header pipe into the steering shaft on the driver's side. With a solid mount I don't think it will be moving much.

I would be curious how thick the Mancini mounts are as they also might be an option if the solid mount causes too much vibration.