Main Menu

Anyone know what a Roster Comb is in a Transmission?

Started by Cuda Cody, January 30, 2017, 07:17:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Had a friend build me a couple transmissions.  He's since passed away and I'm just now putting them to use.  But one of them the reverse light comes on it all the gears. The reverse light turns off in park.  Looking at the wiring diagram it might be that he used a 68 or 69 Rooster Comb?  That's all I can think it might be?

Any know much about Rooster Combs and how hard are they to replace?  :huh:

Cuda Cody

headejm

headejm

How about this?

Cuda Cody

:rofl:  At least with a real Rooster the reverse light wouldn't be on all the time!

I think he put a 69 rooster comb in there.  I'll check with your guy and see what he thinks!   :slapme5:

Burdar

There is a large spring and a ball bearing that engage the indentations in the rooster comb.  This is what gives you the feeling of going into each gear. The hardest part about changing the rooster comb seems to be getting the large spring/ball back in place. I don't know if I read this trick in some Trans-Go instructions or if a trans shop owner told me about it but it works great. 

Set the spring/check ball into the valve body.  Then use a plastic zip tie to compress them and hold them in place.  When the rooster comb is pushed down, it will push off the zip tie and the ball will snap into place. 

The above picture says "detent ball and spring here".  This is what you wrap the zip tie around.  One side goes on the ball, the other gets wrapped around that section of the valve body.  The zip tie holds the ball in place so you can install the rooster comb.

fc7cuda

:iagree:

Check your switch first to confirm proper function and depth setting of the check ball against the comb.  Also test the two outer pins with a ohm meter.  Hope it something simple and you don't have to get back into it.   :fingerscrossed:

Tom

screamindriver

Cody you did'nt state which application you're trying to use...What year vehicle ??? What year trans{originally}?  68-back used a one wire rooster comb switch...69-up used the 3 prong rooster comb switch.... I'll take an educated guess and say it's an early trans for a later year body....

If you want a quick and easy way to switch a 68-back trans to the newer style three prong switch you need the 69-70 style rooster comb...  You can swap in a later style also but most suggest swapping the whole valve body if using the 71-later for the fit.....Then you also get the advantage of the part throttle kickdown feature....

I just swapped a 70 rooster comb into a 68 trans for just this reason...I needed the three prong switch to work and that was the least amount of drama/work involved...

Cuda Cody

WOW!   :clapping:  Thank you.  The trans is / was out of a 1970 small block (purple Challenger) and is now in another 1970 Challenger.  But I had a friend go through and re-build it.  He had done a lot of these before but was getting up there in age.  He must have put the 68 style in there.  I'm going to pull the pan and see what I can find.   :wrenching:

Quote from: screamindriver on January 31, 2017, 02:36:49 PM
Cody you did'nt state which application you're trying to use...What year vehicle ??? What year trans{originally}?  68-back used a one wire rooster comb switch...69-up used the 3 prong rooster comb switch.... I'll take an educated guess and say it's an early trans for a later year body....

If you want a quick and easy way to switch a 68-back trans to the newer style three prong switch you need the 69-70 style rooster comb...  You can swap in a later style also but most suggest swapping the whole valve body if using the 71-later for the fit.....Then you also get the advantage of the part throttle kickdown feature....

I just swapped a 70 rooster comb into a 68 trans for just this reason...I needed the three prong switch to work and that was the least amount of drama/work involved...

screamindriver

Cody I wanted to put up this quick comparison of the rooster combs.. Simply pull the switch and have a look in there it'll be pretty straight-forward they're much different than each other...Then we'll go from there depending on the parts you have....

Cuda Cody

Great comparison!   I just need to get it on a lift and do it.    :smile:

headejm

@Cuda Cody  This easy-to-make tool might help?

Cuda Cody

Thanks for the help on the tool.  It scared me a little when it says nearly impossible to reinstalled the detent ball without.  But knowing how to make the tool should help!   :bigthumb:

Burdar

QuoteThanks for the help on the tool.  It scared me a little when it says nearly impossible to reinstalled the detent ball without.  But knowing how to make the tool should help!

That's why I posted about the zip tie trick.  No need for a special tool.  The zip tie works perfectly.