Main Menu

Anyone Purchased / Installed a Fitech 6pack set up and had problems ?

Started by dodge1933, January 19, 2021, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodge1933

Please read my original post as to the Fitech help and other issues I am having. As for the blue wire it has been checked and rechecked so the routing is not receiving any RF interference.
I was also wondering all you with small blocks. Where are you tapping in to install the temp sender for the EFI. My six pack manifold has 1 small hole for the dash gauge sender. We have installed a tee at the bottom of the heater hose for the EFI temp sender. And it shows 15 to 20 degrees cooler than the one for the dash. Another problem we have been contending with. It has been suggested we drill another hole in the manifold, but that's not going to happen on a 50 year old original factory manifold.

7212Mopar

I would think engine coolant temperature. What about off of the engine block drain?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Dakota

I bought a pigtail from Summit (see link below) and extended the  FiTech temp sensor wiring harness so I could thread the sensor into one of the coolant drain plugs on the side of the block (I believe it was the driver side) on my 340.   

I had originally tried putting a tapped spacer under the thermostat housing cover but the extra height created an interference issue with the A/C compressor.   Then I tried a lower profile thermostat housing that I could tap my own opening in on the side, but the connection point for the radiator hose had no barb on it which left me worried the hose would blow off at an inconvenient moment (like when I was working on the engine).   After all this, I extended the harness. 

FiTech will tell you that cutting the sensor harness will void their warranty but my unit was already a couple of years old at that point so I didn't worry about it.   While driving the car, the indicated temp on the FiTech handheld of 160-163 degrees matched my thermostat rating of 160 degrees so I think this is a valid signal into the FiTech computer.  As noted above, this is too low a temperature for the FiTech computer to self-program so a higher temp thermostat is needed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-tx3a

shawge

Good idea on using the sensor in place of the engine drain plug. I'm going to switch mine over to that on my MS install. 
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

dodge1933

The block drain sounds like a good idea. I will look into that. In the mean time I went back over to the last shop that worked on it to see what they would do. The owner said it wasn't right to be charged for something they didn't get fixed. So they are going to see about get more info and research it some more to get a game plane and will call me when they think they have all their duck in a row. No charge. So they are going to try and make it right. It's a good reputable shop and come highly recommended. We'll just have to wait and see.

YellowThumper

Sorry no offering on the ops issue.
I do like the temp sensor in block idea.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

moparroy

Do you need a pigtail? If you are cutting into the FiTech wire anyway - just spice in an extension no? Same pigtail is $3 at Rockauto.