Main Menu

Anyone use this carb on your 340?

Started by gaddied, July 10, 2018, 07:06:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gaddied

Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 2 Carburetor 1906  would like to know how it fits on a 340 manifold. And what I would need to buy to make it work right.

Chryco Psycho

There are a lot better carbs out there than that , why waste your $$ ?

jimynick

The early 340's all had AVS type carbs on them but the later- I think 72 on- ones ran ThermoQuads which have a spread bore bolt pattern if I recall correctly. If you have a aftermarket intake it may be drilled for either. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Yes: What year of 340 manifold. The stock AVS worked okay the 72-73 TQ better.
Sheldon

CudaHead

I put the AVS2 on my 340 Cuda. Fits and works fine. Don't forget to buy the accelerator adapter for the Mopar's.

blown motor

I believe that's what I have. Not sure on the 1906, it was on the car when I bought it. It works fine but I have nothing to compare to.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

gaddied

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 10, 2018, 10:03:54 PM
Yes: What year of 340 manifold. The stock AVS worked okay the 72-73 TQ better.
1970 340 manifold.

gaddied

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 10, 2018, 07:44:46 PM
So what are they?

JS29

Quote from: gaddied on July 11, 2018, 06:18:34 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 10, 2018, 07:44:46 PM
So what are they?
I like my Quick-fuel carb on my 383!!!

RUNCHARGER

Yes, I think quick fuel has a good rep. I haven't dealt with any of the newer carbs. See what Neil recommends, he has. I have no problem running the AVS stuff but their tendency to boil fuel out is quite annoying.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Proform seems to be the the best for the $$ , Quickfuel is awesome too just more $$ , Newer Holley HP series are a lot better than they used to be . Any of these would be an improvement , the AVS series is better then the AFB but still leaves a lot of performance missing , they will not adjust to much better than a stock cam for example

303 Mopar

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 16, 2018, 08:16:48 AM
Proform seems to be the the best for the $$ , Quickfuel is awesome too just more $$ , Newer Holley HP series are a lot better than they used to be . Any of these would be an improvement , the AVS series is better then the AFB but still leaves a lot of performance missing , they will not adjust to much better than a stock cam for example

Proform and QF use the same interchangeable parts. QF was cheaper about 5 years ago when I bought one for my '71 Challenger, but then became popular and raised their prices.  I have bought 3 Proform's since then, and @CudaKat buys a bunch of these for his clients in his shop.  Best carb out there for the money IMO.

Chryco Psycho