Main Menu

Argh! Oil leak

Started by blown motor, November 20, 2017, 05:15:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I put the Stabil in the tank today and topped it up, started it and ran it for a few minutes. Then I moved it and saw a big oil spot on the floor. I think it's coming from the oil filter but see what you think. 340 engine.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Give that filter a twist and see if she moves.  Looks like it just might be the filter.   :fingerscrossed:

Bullitt-

Looks like the filter could well be the issue with it running down the header.. 
Had one leaking on a Caravan a year ago, couldn't see why.. it just leaked, wasn't loose.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

73_Cuda_4_Me

I had a passenger side valve cover gasket that leaked on the intake side, and it ran around the gasket to lowest point on head, dripped down onto the head bolt right above the filter, and down on to my 90 degree adapter. Had exact same characteristic drip pattern on filter and headers... if filter is tight, check higher up on engine... vc gasket, oil pressure switch is another...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

blown motor

Just found this reply. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

dave73

So you were driving it and no leaks, put in stabil now it leaks?

blown motor

I think it always weeped ever so little. My first post was a month ago. I finally crawled under it yesterday to have a look. Only a couple drops where it was sitting, not uncommon. Now I'm wondering if it always leaks a bit on start-up but I never noticed because I just let it warm up a minute and drive away.

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

jimynick

Murray, are you not running the 90' adapter on yours? If not, is it possible there's either a wee flaw in the seal edge machining in the block or could you try a different brand of filter to see if that helps?  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

even without the 90* adapter there is an adapter plate on the block that can leak

blown motor

Quote from: jimynick on December 19, 2017, 07:48:24 PM
Murray, are you not running the 90' adapter on yours? If not, is it possible there's either a wee flaw in the seal edge machining in the block or could you try a different brand of filter to see if that helps?  :alan2cents:

It used to leak oh so minimally with the adaptor on so we took it off. I really don't see a need for it. Using a Napa Gold filter.

Put 2540 miles on this past summer and the oil on the dipstick barely went down so i'm not loosing a lot. It just makes a mess on the underside of the car.

dave73

Quote from: cudabob496 on December 19, 2017, 07:32:30 PM
when all else fails

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-at205/overview/

What's the deal with this stuff? Will it gunk up the inside of the motor and cause other issues down the road?

Burdar

A nice winter project would be to pull the engine/trans and re-gasket everything.  Sometimes this can snowball into a lot larger project so be careful.  (You don't want to put a nicely painted engine back into a dirty engine bay and before you know it, the entire car is torn apart exc...)

blown motor

Darren, I'm sure that's down the road sometime. I think there's some oil moisture coming from the front end of the engine also. Just noticed it the other day. I'll be keeping a close eye on that. I'm not a "pull the engine and transmission" type of guy. Have never done that which means "it kind of scares me because I've never done it". It would be a good winter project with some help from the right person but right now I don't have a winter spot to do it. Maybe in a few years.

jimynick

Bring that old hunk o junk over to the garage and we'll pull the engine/trans and you can take them and the car back home to play with. And it'll only cost you the beer- how's that for a Christmas present?  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"