Main Menu

Auto to 4 speed swap pictures?

Started by Shoooter, October 28, 2018, 01:19:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

does anyone have a good thread to pictures of what all needs to be done for swapping a auto to a 4 speed. would like to see some from someone who has done it.

303 Mopar

I thought I did a thread when I swapped my 4 speed but can't find it. Anyway here is how I did mine. It is a Passon OD, so the 3/4 rod is flipped, so that should be the only difference.

1. I bought all my parts from Jamie. You can find them cheaper, but I did not want to hunt-and-peck for a year and end up missing some vital parts. This includes the trans, pedal assembly, discs, fork, everything.
2. Remove 727, console, shifter, seats and carpet. Clean and strip the floor of any glue, etc and optionally cut off the brackets on the tunnel for and console.
3. Using trans hump as template, trace outline on tunnel.  It really only fits in one spot.  Cut 1" inside of traced line and be sure to NOT CUT THE TRANS BRACE. Clean up edges for welding with wire brush.
4. Remove brake pedal and install clutch/brake pedal brace and pedals. Feed clutch bar through.
5. Install bellhousing and do run-out check! That is use off-set dowels to ensure bellhousing is aligned with crank.   
6. Find the cut-out for the z-bar on top of the diver frame rail, line up the front edge of the bracket to the outer point on that triangle cutout and by the center of the access hole, make sure the bracket is aligned with the hole.
7. Install trans without connecting the reverse rod because it will go under the trans brace.

303 Mopar

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

303 Mopar

Here are some pics of the cut out and how to line it up.

RUNCHARGER

The framerail also has a notch that the bracket fits into to position it.
Sheldon

Shoooter

this is what I was looking for, thank you

Shoooter

these pictures seem to be from a 70 cuda?  my 71 hole looks to be different. it isnt as oval. Are they different from 70 to 71? only reason I ask is the stud wont be centered in the hole. I dont think it will matter. can someone with a 70 or a 71 look yo see what theres looks like?

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shoooter on November 02, 2018, 09:52:49 PM
these pictures seem to be from a 70 cuda?  my 71 hole looks to be different. it isnt as oval. Are they different from 70 to 71? only reason I ask is the stud wont be centered in the hole. I dont think it will matter. can someone with a 70 or a 71 look yo see what theres looks like?

I just pulled these two pics off the net, not sure what model it is but A, B, and E body will be very similar. The primary point is to show the notch and how to line up the bracket.

Shoooter

I know they will work but now I'm curious if they are different from year to year

Shoooter

if someone has a 71 4 speed cuda could they take a look for me and send a picture. *cudacody

Racer57

If I was switching to a manual tranny, I would get a 5 speed Tremec.

Shoooter

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 28, 2018, 03:24:17 PM

The knotch looks like it lines up with the corner of the bracket? It also looks like the longer part of the knotch keeps inline with the bracket on the frame rail? I looked at two different ones in person, both real 4 speed cars and they were both different.

Rich G.

If you go with the  hydraulic clutch slave setup you can eliminate the whole z bar setup.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shoooter on November 17, 2018, 08:07:58 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 28, 2018, 03:24:17 PM

The knotch looks like it lines up with the corner of the bracket? It also looks like the longer part of the knotch keeps inline with the bracket on the frame rail? I looked at two different ones in person, both real 4 speed cars and they were both different.

Correct.  The "point" of the notch is there to help you line up the corner of the bracket which then lines up like you said.  It actually is not that hard once you have the bracket in place and line up with point.

Shoooter